Planet X womens frame size question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
A nice wee run from Brum to Sheffield makes for a nice trip. It's only 90 miles or so, isn't it. We regularly drove from Stoke to Doncaster for relly visits so don't reckon that the distance is that different. We drove from Norwich to Sheffield, twice. Once to try the bikes and order one, once to collect the bike.
It's worth the trip, it's a wonderful place, is Planet X. Worth it for stocking up on some clothing too as well as getting a nice coffee, looking at the bargain rails (I got a zipped sweatshirt material track top for a tenner). They let you test ride, out in the wild, not just on a Turbo in the shop.
We had a nice day out while we were there.

pawl

Legendary Member
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been done before, but I’m getting confused with all the differing frame sizing guides on the internet so far.

I’m looking to buy my wife a road bike, in particular I’m looking at Planet X pro carbon bike. She is about 5’3” tall. I know there are lot of variables and it’s hard to determine without actually getting on the bike and trying it, which is why I’m thinking I might just make a day of it and drive to Sheffield to try them out but I wanted to see what you guys think.

Planet x web site suggests at 5’3” she would need a 44cm for the pro carbon frame but if I look at the RT-80 frame they suggest a 50cm frame, which is quite different. To confuse things further if I look at the Geometry of both frames and the way they have measured the seat tube length its different on both frames. The pro carbon is measured from centre of BB to the very top of the seat tube but the RT-80 is measured from the centre of BB to the central point at which the top tube joins the seat tube. So if we comparing like for like the recommended 50cm on the RT-80 would actually be a few cm’s longer if we you measured right to the top.

Looking on other websites like Evans bikes suggests different frame sizes as well for female riders at 5’3” tall.

Does anyone have any experience of ordering planet x bikes online and have any tips on selecting the right size?

I think I may just end up going there to be certain but I thought I’d ask here if others have found the suggested sizes on the site to be accurate or a waste of time?

Thanks
If you could manager it a trip to Planet X is worthwhile .
I did this as I was unsure about sizing stem and crank length.A bike was put on a turbo and various measurement taken. Not a full bike fit. As far as I was concerned size crank and stem length are spot on the only variable was
hight of seat post and for and aft positions of saddle..Used the measurmts from one of my other bikes as a starting. point.

Top Bottom