Planet X XLS budget(ish) build. Updated again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well picked up a shop soiled frameset from Planet X's Eghey shop to build up as a sort of super-commuter and off-roader.The plan was to use some bits lying about and on my current Trek commuter and source any other parts as cheaply as possible.
One spanner has been thrown in that the Shimano calipers are not useable with drop bar shifters so a suitable set of calipers will have to be sourced,probably TRP spyres or Avid bb7's(or 5's if funds are tight).
The build is halted at the mo as I am waiting on the LBS to fit the crown race on the forks(my fitting tool doesn't work with a tapered fork)and this coming week-end I have a local sportive to do.
So so far all that's been fitted is the front and rear mechs,seat-post and saddle and the chainset(after some persuasion);pics to come once the crappy site that flckr now is loads:rolleyes:.

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Here's the pics;

All I can do for now with Vittoria Randonneur pro tyres shining behind;

14429668435_16ccbc7ae7_c.jpg

FZA seatpost and saddle;

14243022039_455d8ba8d3_c.jpg

Miche chainset courtesy of StuAff of this parish with new top-pull front mech;

14426314421_f04f85fa7f_c.jpg

And second hand 105 rear mech which will be operated by second-hand 105 flight deck shifters;

14429667365_037fd7df30_c.jpg

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Some progress over the week-end;fork crown race fitted and steerer cut by LBS,fork fitted with bars etc after a little faff with the fork bung and pedals and wheels taken from the Trek hybrid.
Costs have risen:rolleyes:;have now got TRP Spyre slc brakes on the way as the standard ones appear to be like rocking horse shite and apparently are back ordered until July at the earliest so have managed to get the slc version at a reduced price.
Anyway here is how it is now;

14501378982_5e311e5808_c.jpg

14479440026_372f40a2e6_c.jpg

14315898530_795f49a302_c.jpg

14502551785_35e5e9f3a7_c.jpg

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Ready for it's first try out yesterday morning;

14357993630_ce2a152608_c.jpg

And shiny TRP's;

14358181597_e769084f22_c.jpg

Few hiccups on the first run;front brake cable wasn't quite tight enough as was the front mech cable.Also saddle bolts had not been nipped up properly:rolleyes:.What you get for doing stuff on a Sunday evening I suppose:whistle:.Still some stuff to do and the Vittoria tyres will go on asap as well.

First impressions are that it's certainly nippy enough even with the big old tyres on it and this morning it felt good over some damp grass and a rough cycle path on a little detour to the train station.
Weighed it at work and it's just over 10kgs with all the bits on so in due course I should think I could get it a little lighter with some nicer wheels and finishing gear,but in truth it's fine for what it's going to be used for and after some more fine tuning I think I'll be enjoying this a lot:bicycle:.

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Bit of an update in the shape of a pair of hand-built wheels which are H plus son Archetype rims with Sapim spokes and Novatec hubs,only just put them on so not had a proper ride yet to compare with the old Mavic set.

DSC_0060.jpg
DSC_0061.jpg
DSC_0060.jpg
DSC_0058.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg
DSC_0055.jpg

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Thanks;nearly done now just some better pedals and a Carradice or similar seat post bag to carry heavy stuff like locks,provisions etc for the commute.And some quick release 'guards;might be some ideas for Chissy presents(although I did get Roadracers last year and they look silly on this and only work with 23 tyres on the Ridley:rolleyes:)
Also might need to try the longer stem I have at some point.

Oh and I dunno how I got two similar pics in there.

Big Nick

The more I see it the more I don't like the white seat stem, just looks odd as if its meant for a different bike to me

Really still like the rest though!!