PlanetX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

I am not an employee of Wiggle, they have managed to do the bit it says on the tin,. I concur. It can't though be that hard can it?

I've not had any problems with PlanetX myself.
They've been fine with me too

Admittedly, I do drive down to the shop (Worsbrough), as I can be there in about 35 minutes, if traffic is light, around Stairfoot roundabout

(that shop, used to be the Allans Cycles, where they kept all the items for the 'Cycle-Promotions' road-shows)

Tojo

Über Member
it appears that taking online payments, packing items and shipping them, requires some sort of dark magic that nobody really understands.
I have used every 'mainstream' online cycle shop in the UK and had trouble with all of them.
Wiggle seems to be one of the most reliable and one of the best at sorting problems out, certainly not the cheapest though.

Who do you find is the cheapest.....:secret:

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

'Cheap' is an interesting modern consumer concept. It suggests price, but may also find space in quality. So if I may be so bold... do you they know the price of everything, and the value of nothing, especially the respect that comes with service?

Edit: 'they' not you :smile:

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
Planet X have been good to me to. It's better for me now they have 'collect in store' as an option.

All they need now is to allow you to filter tyres and tubes by something useful like, er, diameter.

e-rider

crappy member
Who do you find is the cheapest.....:secret:
it's impossible to say. I have about 10 shops that I check the price. If possible I price match with Wiggle as they do free returns and are most likely to not mess up the order (but they do sometimes too). Otherwsie it's a case of checking all the shops and going with the cheapest. These days I'll pay a little extra to avoid some of the worst shops although if the price is cheap enough they usually tempt me back!!!

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

Tbh! as the OP, I don't per-se have a problem with Planet X, they have clearly subscribed to some kind of quality system that doesn't, by definition put the customer first. The LBS does have that capacity but in my mind is over priced. Not a critisism btw! They have different overheads to cover, but why do I find myself caught between the two. In all honesty, I won't use my LBS because they are too expensive, I won't use Planet X because they can't meet real world demands. I don't have a problem with either situations but I have the ability to shop elsewhere, it's in this middle ground that I get what I am looking for, and am prepared to pay the price, albeit not the cheapest.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Tbh! as the OP, I don't per-se have a problem with Planet X, they have clearly subscribed to some kind of quality system that doesn't, by definition put the customer first. The LBS does have that capacity but in my mind is over priced. Not a critisism btw! They have different overheads to cover, but why do I find myself caught between the two. In all honesty, I won't use my LBS because they are too expensive, I won't use Planet X because they can't meet real world demands. I don't have a problem with either situations but I have the ability to shop elsewhere, it's in this middle ground that I get what I am looking for, and am prepared to pay the price, albeit not the cheapest.

Have you tried negotiating with the bike shop?

I get a bit of discount on most things from mine, which all but brings the price down to online level.

The shop can be cheaper than online, although I can't be bothered to trawl websites to save a pound or two so there could be super bargains out there of which I am unaware.

As an example, I have a standing price of £2 a tin for GT85 - no point in looking elsewhere.

I paid the shop close to top price for a Brompton tyre, but that included fitting which is a worthwhile benefit for a rear tyre on a six speed Brommie.

e-rider

crappy member
Its a strange thing but... sometimes when a company appears to become successful things get worse. Probably the worst online transaction I have ever experienced.
I am greeted with a telephone answering service that apologises for the delay in my delivery. I have only just ordered it. Paypal may be at fault, or operators may be to blame but please for the love of God (which ever one you appreciate), how can this be? I am only trying to buy lights for a cycle, honestly, three phone calls, three emails... whatever next?

Edit: Order number SO 0832721 - keep it, keep the money
at least you didn't shop at SJS Cycles!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Planet X products are great value for money but the one time I phoned them with a query the telephone staff were pretty useless with almost zero product knowledge, unlike Ribble and Probikekit where I have found the sales staff to be knowledgeable and helpful. I emailed PX last week for information on the sizing of their Holdsworth jerseys which I would love to buy, response promised in 24 hours. Still waiting.

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

I think I owe PX an apology, it seems it's an industry norm. Having said that, at least Wiggle thanked me for my patience in their first email, instead of apologising for the delay which hadn't yet happened.

Edit: OMG! I have just had an email from a fleabay site: It apologises by way of 'sorry that they don't fit'. My point was that I ordered two brake cables and only recieved one. I think the zombie apocolypse may have already happened with me noticing.

Last edited:

Tojo

Über Member
it's impossible to say. I have about 10 shops that I check the price. If possible I price match with Wiggle as they do free returns and are most likely to not mess up the order (but they do sometimes too). Otherwsie it's a case of checking all the shops and going with the cheapest. These days I'll pay a little extra to avoid some of the worst shops although if the price is cheap enough they usually tempt me back!!!

I have a couple of trade accounts with suppliers, who I won't mention, but they are struggling to even supply me with parts just under Wiggle prices, and by the time I put on a little bit to the customer, I basically make pence on just undercutting, say the price from wiggle, an example a ultegra 11-32 11sp cassette from wiggle £39.95, my supplier to me £39.59 and if I ordered that item only from my trade supplier, any order under a £100 is £6.95 postage, I have to buy at least £200 ex vat before I get free postage........:headshake:

Tojo

Über Member
Planet X products are great value for money but the one time I phoned them with a query the telephone staff were pretty useless with almost zero product knowledge, unlike Ribble and Probikekit where I have found the sales staff to be knowledgeable and helpful. I emailed PX last week for information on the sizing of their Holdsworth jerseys which I would love to buy, response promised in 24 hours. Still waiting.

I bought in a bike for a fiend from them just before Christmas and asked if they would replace the 11-25 cassette with a 11-28, the reply was no as the bike was already built but they then emailed me said there would be a delay due to supply and demand....! also when it arrived the front ultegra gear cable was damaged, so I emailed them, they replied saying they would send me a steel/ zinc coated gear cable as a replacement, and was I capable of fitting it, rather than sending the bike back, I replied saying that I had a box full of stainless gear cables and I expected them to send me a genuine ultegra 6800 gear cable, no response except for a stainless gear cable arriving through my letterbox a couple of days later, needless to say it was the same as I had a box full of......:whistle:

Top Bottom