Planning my first Century

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have never done 100 miles before (longest was 80 on a club ride) so I was wondering if I needed anything special for the ride?

I would be setting off early and probably have the panniers on my nice bike. I would obviously take the typical tool kit/tubes/repair kit/etc plus a bit of food (stop for lunch somewhere).

The route would probably be from Prestatyn to Bangor then to Llanwrst then down to Denbigh. http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/long-ride-31
The first 30 miles are mainly NCN 5 but then jump onto the A5 for 25 miles, then fairly minor country roads home.

Do I need to take anything extra or plan my route better?

If you've done 80 you'll do 100 fine but what do you need panniers for?

I can't think of anything I use on a 100+ that I don't take for an 80-ish ride.

The significant difference between the 80 and the 100 as you describe them will be the solitude on your 100. There'll be nobody to tuck in behind for a bit of easy-peasy drafty-deluxe and nobody to chat to when it gets tiresome or dull.

For 100 miles, I use 2 bidons and a small Camelbak. Take a little change so you can buy water or similar if it gets hot. Riding the last 20 miles dry on a hot day is unpleasant.

Make sure everything is in super-doop condition and do the check-over a day or so before the ride. Don't wait until the moment you're leaving to find a loose spoke, a crunchy gearchange or a suspicious sidewall on your tyre.

Vaseline or Sudocrem are not a bad idea.

However much food (fig rolls or similar) you take for an 80, plus a few. No panniers for that distance. Back pockets are HUUUGE!

Have a good ride!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I wouldn't take paniers, think of the extra weight. Apart from repair kit, all you need is food and drinks. Choose a nice day so keep an eye on the weather forecast. I might accompany you from Colwyn Bay to Bangor if you want. Good luck

albion

Guru
I have only done an 80 of recent but in this weather I find a a backup flask of hot coffee is essential.

Its light enough for a 100 now so if I do 100 next weekend I'll include a 1 litre flask, panniers included.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Its good to have a couple of routes up your sleeve; so if its windy on the day you can pick one where you'll be blown home on the return.
I would pick a day that is totally windless (not many of them) and hopefully sunny. I dont want to be cycling along soggy for more than 40 miles.

Gary E

Veteran
When I did my first 100 I'd originally set off to do 40.
Sometimes it just feels easier than other times.
The only issue was water as I'd not intended to be out for so long. If you ask politely people will fill your water bottle up for you :smile:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
food water toolkit phone and plenty of money - you dont need to spend it ^_^ but if anything goes wrong - your covered . O and if you dont know the route that good - a page out of your road atlas - have a good time

Kies

A friend and I are planning our first century ride. What is a realistic average speed.
We usually do 20-30 miles at 15-16mph

A friend and I are planning our first century ride. What is a realistic average speed.
We usually do 20-30 miles at 15-16mph

If it's a first century, I wouldn't necessarily plan much in terms of projected speed.

I did a 120-130 mile ride with my daughter as a fundraiser for some undeserving community in the developing world. She hadn't trained much and we just set off and kept pedalling. She knocked off the first 60-ish miles at 17mph (route was A40 from the Welsh borders to London). Stokenchurch Hill put an end to that rush of speed, but the real killer was going into London through Gerrards Cross, Uxbridge, Shepherds Bush and so on. The A40 at that point is little more than a series of High Streets linked by psychopathic buses and minicabs. Speed suffered greatly.

With a first hit at a longer distance, the time is less of an issue than the distance. Go with the flow.

Advice:

1. Don't set off at a sprint.
2. Take a break when you feel like one.
3. Vaseline or Sudocrem for that distance.
4. Keep sipping and keep nibbling.
5. Enjoy it.... You will anyway.

Gixxerman

Guru
When I did mine, I had done several 40 / 50's leading up to it.
I just picked a cool day in September and went for it.
I took a litre water bottle with me and 2 flapjacks and a bag of Tescos trial mix (nuts, dried fruit, dried banana / coconut mix).
I stopped for a bit of lunch about half way (toasted sandwich, cake & coffee).
I did it on a Trek 7.3 FX hybrid and it took me 7.5 hours including a lunch stop of about an 40 mins and numerous bottle refill stops. I averaged about 15 mph which I was quite pleased with.
The main problem I had was water. I had to stop about 5 times to replenish my bottle at shops, peoples houses etc. Strangely, even though I drank about 6 litres of fluids, I never had a single wee all day! I was suggested that this was Ketosis in action.
I took a bumbag with my food it it, and spare tube, tyre levers and a puncture repair kit, mobile phone, bank card and some cash. I also had an Alien 3 multi-tool on a seat post mount.
Things I would do differently if I were to repeat it:-
1) Vaseline myself up before the off. My nether regions glowed in the dark for several hours after I got home from all the chafing.
2) Take a small backpack with my camalbak in it as well as my bottle. I can then hold 3 litres and would not require to stop as many times to refill.
3) Do the route in reverse. The route was 2/3 flat-ish and 1/3 hilly. But I chose to do the flat bit first. The hills were murder on tired legs and I got cramp in both thighs at about the 80 mile point and fell of onto the grass verge. I had some Trial mix and stopped at the house opposite for some more water. After about 10 mins I was ok to continue. However, I felt weak for a number of miles until the food started to have some effect.
4) Nibble, even if you don't feel hungry. I just stopped when I felt hungry. By that time, it is too late, as it takes about an hour for the food you eat to have an effect and by that time you could easily have bonked. I even arrived back home with food remaining, which is rather silly.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd pick a day with a Westerly on that route - headwind out, then a tail for the climbs.

Eat something every 10 miles, and build in a few re-fil stops for water. Maybe take some energy drink powder with you to mix with water on route - don't go buying lucozade and similar from shops - pure sugar.

Top Bottom