Planning my route ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I keep getting lost due to a terrible sense of direction, so thought I should plan ahead. Was going to buy this ...

image.jpg

But then spotted this ...

image.jpg

What is easiest/most recommended? I don't want to be limited to just cycle paths or anything.

MikeW-71

Veteran
OS map is better. I usually use the online route planners like RideWithGPS or BikeHike. Those in conjunction with an OS map will see you right everywhere.

You can also buy OS maps in an electronic edition that can be stored on your phone and viewed offline.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
This is better imo.
You don't have to have a gps to use the site: just print out the directions.
I've used the printed directions before I had my Garmin.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
As #2 - just get an OS map. Paper is better than electronic imo as you get a better perspective of the wider area through which you wish to ride.

I find it good fun planning routes both for mountain hiking and cycling.

If you aren't cycling through complex city routes it is pretty easy to commit long routes to memory.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you know that the sun comes up in the East, is due South at noon and sets in the West, it is difficult not to know what direction you are going in.

I use both map and Garmin Touring and never get lost.

snorri

Legendary Member
Your local council prints leaflets detailing cycle routes in the area, just Google 'Falkirk cycle maps' for some ideas.
There are cycle routes along the canal.
Take a look at the Sustrans website for local off routes.
The atlas in the pic is probably not a great idea, unsuitable for use on a bike and too much information if you are only looking for local routes in Central Scotland.
Ordnance Survey maps are very good, but it is usually possible to get cheaper alternatives for your local area, have a look around in local book shops for these.

Last edited:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Paper is better than electronic imo as you get a better perspective of the wider area through which you wish to ride. [...] If you aren't cycling through complex city routes it is pretty easy to commit long routes to memory.
Certainly my preferred option. I don't like just following a series of directions, without a map, as if you deviate from the directions it can be difficult to re-find your route, especially if the road signage is poor or absent. Once I've properly studied the route on the map and (I hope) got the shape of it in my head I can usually go some distance without having to read directions for every turn.

Top Bottom