Planning sick days off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sick leave should be deducted from holidays. This country's gone to the dogs. People taking time off for colds, and such like, it's pathetic. Pull your socks up.

I've taken four days off since 1994, two of which were for a busted pelvis. If somebody's paying you, you should be at your desk.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

It's strange how the very cleverest people somehow get away with taking days off, because they somehow know that the average office needs a bit of cheeky in-yer-face skiving to keep morale up.

That's why you never see the less bright trying it on.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
simon l& and a half said:
Sick leave should be deducted from holidays. This country's gone to the dogs. People taking time off for colds, and such like, it's pathetic. Pull your socks up.

I've taken four days off since 1994, two of which were for a busted pelvis. If somebody's paying you, you should be at your desk.

I expect you're being ironic again, but if not, thank goodness someone (plus a few others like Jaded) here has some work-related scruples.

Do the shirkers here/elsewhere really have such a low opinion of the worthiness of their job/profession that they don't need to be there when contracted to be and not genuinely ill? And are they that undesirous of economic security in this country in the face of aggressive international competition that they are happy their combined laziness amounts to vast levels of wastage (particularly in the public sector, which they no doubt complain about wasting public money through inefficiency!).

Pull your weight, you lazy wasters.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Foghat said:
I expect you're being ironic again, but if not, thank goodness someone here has some work-related scruples.

Do the shirkers here/elsewhere really have such a low opinion of the worthiness of their job/profession that they don't need to be there when contracted to be and not genuinely ill? And are they that undesirous of economic security in this country in the face of aggressive international competition that they are happy their combined laziness amounts to vast levels of wastage (particularly in the public sector, which they no doubt complain about wasting public money through inefficiency!).

Pull your weight, you lazy wasters.

I'd much rather someone I didn't like at work pulled a sickie, giving me a break, but also because I still wouldn't want him impaling himself on a chopstick like the Japanese or something out of overwork.

Nobody's that evil

bonj2

k-dog said:
I would get shirty too - of course a cold isn't a decent excuse to be off work. Flu is - but flu isn't a cold and a lot of people like to go around saying they have the flu when all they have is a cold.

What's the friggin' difference? ;);) Flu's just a cold for people who have decided they're feeling slightly more sorry for themselves. Just like a migraine is a headache for people who live in places like cheshire.

Some people take the view that companies make enough money as it is, and that them taking a day off here and there isn't going to have a noticeable impact on the profits of the company - therefore there isn't any harm in it.
If Gordon Brown kept doing it, fair enough - but let's face it most people are just office monkeys and the absence of them for one day every so often is the last thing that springs to mind as the cause of why the country has "gone to the dogs". If it even has. In a lot of cases, the mental health improvement caused by the happiness gained by alternative activity on that day off could actually be more of a benefit to the person's performance at work than the work they could have done on the missed day would have been.

Maybe some people don't want to be coughed and spluttered and sneezed over by people who think they're too important to take a day off. This has pissed me off in the past, some guy at my last job refused to ever take a day off even when he had a really bad cold that he was clearly going to spread round everybody for a day, so I took TWO days off on principle.

Abitrary said:
It's strange how the very cleverest people somehow get away with taking days off, because they somehow know that the average office needs a bit of cheeky in-yer-face skiving to keep morale up.

That's why you never see the less bright trying it on.

It's actually a good thing to have someone who's a real slacker in an office, 'cos then your slacking goes unnoticed - especially if their reputation is perpetuated. Nobody keeps 'grades' of slackness, they just know that so-and-so is 'the slacker'. If somebody always comes in late, for instance, always greet them with a loud surprised-sounding 'evening!' even though you yourself only snook in 5 minutes prior.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

bonj said:
If somebody always comes in late, for instance, always greet them with a loud surprised-sounding 'evening!' even though you yourself only snook in 5 minutes prior.

I have perfected a swagger and stare especially for the co-worker who says 'evening' or 'afternoon' when I get in late

You really don't want to see it

I'm always at least 15 minutes late for work. It never seems to bother my boss when I'm working late into the night, so why should I make too much effort to turn up on time? Besides, I'm a lorry driver, not a heart surgeon - no one's going to die if I'm late with a delivery. Anyway, I've got more important things to worry about than being on time for work.

k-dog

What's the friggin' difference? Flu's just a cold for people who have decided they're feeling slightly more sorry for themselves. Just like a migraine is a headache for people who live in places like cheshire.

I was going to mention migraine too but I didn't bother. That's another thing that bothers me. I, and quite a few of my family, suffer from classical migraines. Typically you get distorted vision - can be very significantly reduced vision - severe nausea and/or vomiting and an excruciating headache.

It's the people who go around (and I used to work with one) saying 'oh, I'm having a migraine today' and rubbing their forehead lightly who give them all a bad name. If they actually knew what a migraine was like they wouldn't be saying that.

Same goes for flu - most people have had it but seem to forget how different it is to being a bit stuffed up with a cold.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
I'm always at least 15 minutes late for work. It never seems to bother my boss when I'm working late into the night, so why should I make too much effort to turn up on time? Besides, I'm a lorry driver, not a heart surgeon - no one's going to die if I'm late with a delivery. Anyway, I've got more important things to worry about than being on time for work.

In the Sunday Times the other week Michael Winner described speaking at the Oxford Union debating society. His final two pieces of advice were:

-Always get to work 15 minutes before everyone else, and always leave 15 minutes after. Diligence shall be rewarded.
-Never buy a Ferrari

bonj2

Rhythm Thief said:

What if you were delivering a truck-load of hearts to a hospital? ;)

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
I'm following that advice, but in reverse. Apart from the bit about the Ferrari.
The day I do what Michael Winnit says is the day I kill myself. Fat self-gratification artist.;)

Michael Winner is an absolute star

bonj said:
What if you were delivering a truck-load of hearts to a hospital? ;)

A truckload ! Big transplant broke out? :biggrin:

"No this one doesn't fit, try another"
"Nah!"
"What about that one in the corner, that looks right"

:biggrin:

bonj2

Crackle said:
A truckload ! Big transplant broke out? :biggrin:

"No this one doesn't fit, try another"
"Nah!"
"What about that one in the corner, that looks right"

:smile:

:smile: Obviously they have to have more than one in stock at any one time, so there's going to have to be some element of organised logistics involved. How do you think they deliver them, stuffed in a carrier bag in the doctor's car next to his lunch?

Top Bottom