Plans to make the Bristol-Bath Cycle Path a Bus Route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skids

Details here!

I use this facility on a regular basis and am very much against the idea. I know they've muted the idea before but this time the local councils really do seem up for it!

Facebook Save the path group here

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've submitted my comment too - thanks for bringing it to my attention. I don't use it very often myself - more with the kids rather than to commute on but then I work in Bristol. I'm suprised I haven't heard about it via work ... I will forward it to some others in Bristol.

I voted in some poll last week to bring in congestion charging in the centre of Bristol (probably on the BBC web-site). I feel sorry for the folks in the buses but to be honest most of Bristol motorists would have to be forcably ejected from their cars and have them crushed before they would consider an alternative.

(That said - hubby has just gone - in the car - to drop the older two kids round at friends houses about a mile and 2 miles away in the horrible rain - I am a hypocrite!!!!xx( normally they would walk or cycle but they are both going on sleep overs complete with pillows).

andygates

Some sort of advanced megatram nonsense? Bristol has been talking about those since 89 at least. And the route is wildly inappropriate for it. Attend the meeting! Point and laugh!

jonesy

Guru
andygates said:
Some sort of advanced megatram nonsense? Bristol has been talking about those since 89 at least. And the route is wildly inappropriate for it. Attend the meeting! Point and laugh!

Looks like guided bus rather than tram, so much more likely to go ahead as it isn't as expensive as light rail. A similar scheme on a former railway route is now under construction in Cambridge and another one from Luton to Dunstable has been given approval. Note that the Cambridge guided busway includes a parallel cycle route.

I'd be inclined to look at the detailed proposals rather than give a knee-jerk reaction. This is a former railway route and I understand always has been considered for some form of rapid transit. In most other European countries a city of comparable size would have a decent rapid transit system, so I don't see why the idea should be considered ridiculous for Bristol. Personally I'd prefer light rail to guided bus, not least because the concrete guideways are much more physically intrusive and occupy a wider alignment than a rail based system would take; sadly however the UK government doesnt' seem to want to pay for light rail so guided bus may be the only option until Britain changes its transport appraisal methodology to one that recognises the difference between value and cost.

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/guided/

andygates

The idea of rapid transit for Bristol isn't absurd at all. But since 1989 or so, certainly since then because that's when I moved there, they've been talking about rapid transit and never actually putting anything in place. The idea is good, but their competence in deploying it is so feeble as to be comical.

jonesy

Guru
andygates said:
The idea of rapid transit for Bristol isn't absurd at all. But since 1989 or so, certainly since then because that's when I moved there, they've been talking about rapid transit and never actually putting anything in place. The idea is good, but their competence in deploying it is so feeble as to be comical.

I don't think it is fair wholly to blame the Bristol LAs. The main obstacle has simply been the government's refusal to fund it. Likewise in Leeds, Liverpool and Southampton: millions has been spent developing schemes that then got scrapped because the Treasury considered them to be poor value for money, often citing concerns about cost over-runs, even though road schemes also usual exceed their costs. :blush:

andygates

Well if they didn't have funding they shouldn't have blethered on about it as if it was a done deal. I do blame the LAs. They haven't delivered on this in twenty years, which is old enough for some of the original numpties' children to be screwing it up this time.

Back on topic, I bet Sustrans are just happy-clappy with the idea, neh?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If Bristol City Council want to do anything why not link Portishead with Bristol given how many people live there, work in Bristol and want a rail link (I assume its along the existing rail track).

I must admit I'm fed up with the number of initiatives they have thought up, spent lots of consultancy money and then failed to do anything.

Danny

Legendary Member
Better still build the guided bus route along the A4!

domd1979

Veteran
Since "Sustrans" is short for Sustainable Transport, I'm sure they'll be giving the whole thing due consideration since mass-transit is a more sustainable form of transport than the motor car.

andygates said:
Back on topic, I bet Sustrans are just happy-clappy with the idea, neh?

U

User482

The proposal for rapid buses in Bristol is part of a bid to the DfT from all four LAs that used to be Avon County Council to access central govt.Transport Innovation Funding (TIF). One of the routes may use a small part of the cycle path, but until more details are available, I'm going to avoid condemning it.

There are many valid criticisms of the authority, but it should be remembered that they have been encouraged to develop schemes by central government in the past, only to be knocked back at the last minute.

I understand that details are likely to emerge in the summer, and will be subject to consultation.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Sustrans are having a Celebrate the Railway Path day, tomorrow.

There is either a walk in from Fishponds at 2.30 or if you fancy a ride, start in the centre at 12 out to Mangotsfield and back again joining the walk.

Details here for anyone interested: http://www.railwaypath.org/node/4

and apparently the council are debating a motion by a Green councillor that "asks that Bristol City Council request the West of England Partnership to leave the Railway Path out of their plans", on Tuesday next week. This should apparently highlight which councillors are for or against the scheme.

Top Bottom