plantar fasciitis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trevrev

Veteran
Hi Folks,
Has anyone here suffered from the above?
If so, have you got any tips on making it better?
Mine is bearable now, but it's still there, making sure i know it's there!
I've had a few months off from running because of it, just got back into some gentle jogging.
I've been doing various stretches which have helped.

Any tips would be great...........Trev.

evo456

Über Member
Hi Trev, I have a bout of PF a while ago when I wasn't able to walk due to two sprained ankle and when I tried to, the fascia wasn't quite ready after two months of non-activity.Is it worse in the morning, like you first steps and eventually it's alright during the day? At one point I wore a foot/ankle brace which made sure i stretched the bottom of my feet when I go sleep, it was a bulky, heavy and not very comfortable especially on warm nights. Otherwise start supporting your foot, even in the house by buying some orthotic sandles, and some insoles - they don't need to be agressive/firm ones, just enough to slowly get into things. You may then get away with getting some zinc oxide tape and taping the bottom of your feet in a way that supports the fascia. The key is to take it slowly and not to rush into things when you start till fit a bit better.

Here is a site I regulary used for supplies: http://www.return2fitness.co.uk/ , which I found very good.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
Thanks for the tip Evo. Played badminton today, the first time for about 4 weeks. That really aggravated my foot. I'll have to lay off it for a while.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
My understanding is that is inflamation, I get it occasionally running if my trainers are knackered because im heavy and heelstrike but wearing extremely well padded trainers really seems to help. Im on my 4th pair of Asics Nimbus, but they RRP at about £120 so are pricy even at a discount.

Schooner

I was prescribed diclofenic sodium pills. They fix me up from not being able to walk (or sleep) to not feeling a thing, in an hour.
Get to your doctor and they should be able to help. It is a poorly understood ailment but easily treated.

coldash

Veteran
Trevrev
I got plantar fasciitis a couple of years ago and followed this advice posted by a Podiatrist on another forum. It worked for me.

I would get a footbed into your shoes, (including your running shoes). You need to break the tear & repair cycle which is what makes PF so painful; you sleep it repairs you stand up it tears. So …
Support the foot all the time, Superfeet green trim to fit is great for this. You need to put a shoe with a support on any time you are on your feet (even to go to the toilet in the middle of the night). In the morning, give your ankle a stretch before getting out of bed, put feet directly into shoes and walk around for 10-15 mins then consider taking shoes off to have a shower.

Stretch as much as possible, calf stretches 30 second hold, 3x each leg and 3x daily.

Ice, freeze a can of apple juice or something else which won't explode then roll it under you foot for 15 mins every evening.

Friction massage is good to break down the scar tissue. Rub a golf ball under your heel (you can freeze it first).

Avoid the injections unless absolutely a last resort and then only if done by the right person. The injection needs to be from the side and NOT from directly below; it should be mixed with a pain killer/anaesthetic in the area where the injection is given.[/q

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies guys. To be fair it is feeling a lot better now. I just need to keep chipping away with the stretches.
The joys of being middle aged, eh!

Trekvet

Calf stretches (heel drops) - do them of the edge of stairs, up and down slowly. It may hurt to start with, but keep at it. Any stretches do just before climbing into bed, as that way you've put no weight on it since the stretch. In the bath massage the foot with the shampoo bottle, the one that squeaks, as this is DIY ultrasound; or perhaps just makes you feel better. You need all the help you can get :sad: because others don't see that you are practically, temporarily disabled. No going up ladders, no car driving, no carrying shopping, no standing, no sports except gently cycling. I've had it in both feet, 1st was 12-18mths, 2nd 6mths, because then I knew what to do. No injections. Still have Orthaheel insoles in all footwear - slippers to wellingtons. Now 2yrs later can now walk/jog 10miles (with Orthaheels in my running shoes).

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
Calf stretches (heel drops) - do them of the edge of stairs, up and down slowly. It may hurt to start with, but keep at it. Any stretches do just before climbing into bed, as that way you've put no weight on it since the stretch. In the bath massage the foot with the shampoo bottle, the one that squeaks, as this is DIY ultrasound; or perhaps just makes you feel better. You need all the help you can get :sad: because others don't see that you are practically, temporarily disabled. No going up ladders, no car driving, no carrying shopping, no standing, no sports except gently cycling. I've had it in both feet, 1st was 12-18mths, 2nd 6mths, because then I knew what to do. No injections. Still have Orthaheel insoles in all footwear - slippers to wellingtons. Now 2yrs later can now walk/jog 10miles (with Orthaheels in my running shoes).

Hi Trekvet, Been doing all of the above. The heel drops are helping loads. Been using a bottle full of iced water. Haven't tried a bottle that squeaks yet though!
As for orthaheels, they make matters ten times worse. I'm suited without!

As for having it in both feet Trekvet, that must have been hell! It's so painful!

karl61

hi there, i used to suffer real bad from pf. both damned feet too. i went to see a podiatrist, she had me doing all the stretches as above and gave me some insoles, but to be honest it was just time that really sorted it out. had it for over a year, at one point i was the best person around my town at walking on their tiptoes.my sister had it too,she had a cortizone jab, but some ppl say its hit or miss with this, and only a temp solution. hope you get over it soon, otherwise enter tiptoe competitions.

weemarie

Hi Folks,
Has anyone here suffered from the above?
If so, have you got any tips on making it better?
Mine is bearable now, but it's still there, making sure i know it's there!
I've had a few months off from running because of it, just got back into some gentle jogging.
I've been doing various stretches which have helped.

Any tips would be great...........Trev.
I am suffering from PF in both feet at present and I think it was being up ladders that set it off. I saw a podiatrist who sorted me out with specific inserts that catered for and corrected my gait. I dont think the inserts last as long as the 2yrs they say they do so I'm back to get new ones a year later. I think the calf stretches really help.

Trekvet

Hi weemarie
See my text a few up. I've been there, done it, do they do a tea shirt?
(that's an idea-
"I've got
Plantar
Fasciitis!")

Ladders? if you must, and steps - put your foot on them sideways, when you are not hanging off the stairs again.

Insoles? side grade them. Put new ones in the trainers/shoes/slippers/cycle shoes you wear most often, and the oldest in your welly boots.

They say more women get it than men due to them wearing high heels (which shorten calf muscles), anyway, keep stretching from toes to hips.
Tip no.16 (this not seen elsewhere) Stand behind a chair, spread ('em) out legs wide, turn good leg to point out sideways and bend it's knee. Now tip bad leg foot so inside of foot is on floor carpet. Now holding chair try straighten good knee up at same time pushing bad side pelvis down so knee only comes straight at count 30. The harder the push the more stretch down inside of leg and foot. Walk away and you will walk on the inside of foot, so reducing the tendency to over-pronate, which is a cause of PF. Try it and see.
Tip no.27. on car or train trips keep the bad foot on top off good to absorb the vibration, but as you have it in both take a small cushion or go for a bike ride instead.

Trekvet

weemarie
Print Tip no.16 out and put the printout on the chair cushion so you can read it as you do it. Putting your foot in your ear will only make you deaf, or pull a ligament. Hiding under the carpet won't help either, 'case you had a mind to try that. You've got to take this PF seriously, and get a grip on it, else you'll have it, and the pain, for years. If you go wrong again perhaps I could email you diagrams if you are serious about sorting it.

fossyant
Have you ever had PF?

Top Bottom