Plastic Bike Bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is a HUGE difference in a C2C plastic bag and a bike Alan Bike box. We are really not talking about the same thing are we?
Huge difference indeed, my suggestion though was based simply on the fact that the OP was clearly traveling overseas, and personally I wouldn't entrust either of my bikes to a bike bag. I know many do and without issue, but if an issue did occur with a bag your bike is getting damaged, whereas with a box the chances are it will be fine in all but the most extreme circumstances.

jay clock

Massive member
Jim, I have one quite like that. It is really a cover, and if the same material as mine rips very very easily. The Bike Adventure/CTC ones are tougher and not much pricier.

What I am trying to envisage is one made of super tough but super light sail cloth......my holy grail!

jjb

Über Member
I ordered my CTC bags from Wiggle Ltd in Mid January but they still have not arrived. As soon as they arrive I will have a measure up and see what I can come up with.

Steve
Why wait for the ctc bags? I bought one of them but I never opened the parcel - it weighs 750g and is probably just mattress shaped. With sail cloth, if it's anything like the superlight cuben that Oookworks use, it's expensive material. Why not work on the basis of the minimum size for a touring bike with 700c wheels and a rack? Cut the sillouette twice, a couple of inches spare to allow for the width, stitched together all round but leaving the end open. Personally, I'd go for no zip / velcro to save bulk (I'd just use parcel tape).

To avoid arguments at the airport, it'd be good if it followed the curve of the wheel at the front (so it shouts "bike bag") and it'd be worth experimenting with stencils and spray can to have something official-sounding written big on the side such as "Airline Bike Bag".

One good thing with cuben is that it is sort of see-through.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Jim, I have one quite like that. It is really a cover, and if the same material as mine rips very very easily.
I was suprised as mine is pretty thick, maybe standards vary depending on what cloth they get hold of. I have some of those covers from the £1 shop and yes they do tear easily but padded out would probably do one trip. We were turned away at easyjet check in last year as they insisted CTC were not bike bags. CTC do need to overprint these bags to defeat the check in jobsworths.

JemUK

There is a HUGE difference in a C2C plastic bag and a bike Alan Bike box. We are really not talking about the same thing are we?

I have just ordered 2 CTC bags and am hoping they get here soon. When they get here I am going to use one as a template to see if I can make one out of spinnaker cloth. It will be the same size, stronger and lighter than the plastic bag and will have a velcro fastening all the way round and can be made in any colour. I will also make a small stuff bag for it to go into. I am a sailmaker by profession and have all the gear.

If it works out I will send you one as long as you come on here and scream as loud as you can, how brilliant it was (with photos) and tell everyone else that they should have one.

PM your e mail address . It will be too late for this trip but ok for your next one.

Steve
Hi Steve, did you / do you make the bag you mention above ? Jeremy.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes I did Jeremy. I have taken it to Majorca and Italy and it works well. Its not pretty but I can fold it up and pack it away at the airport and ride away.

I make it out of spinnaker material.

Attachments

• 20180509_060558.jpg
    20180509_060558.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 66

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

I have just ordered 2 CTC bags and am hoping they get here soon. When they get here I am going to use one as a template to see if I can make one out of spinnaker cloth. It will be the same size, stronger and lighter than the plastic bag and will have a velcro fastening all the way round and can be made in any colour. I will also make a small stuff bag for it to go into. I am a sailmaker by profession and have all the gear.

If it works out I will send you one as long as you come on here and scream as loud as you can, how brilliant it was (with photos) and tell everyone else that they should have one.

PM your e mail address . It will be too late for this trip but ok for your next one.

Steve

Very interesting. Let us know how you get on. I would be interested in a bike bag. Wheel bags too.

Top Bottom