Plastic Disc Between Cassette and Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Mostly it's BSOs that have them and as such they are useful. Basically because the "Sunshine Fastracer" freewheel and the "Cheng-Hing Foo-Yung" chain don't work all that well with the "Honlable Star Index Gear" and the chain does come off the inner sprocket, when the limit screws shake loose.

A properly set up bike with at least basically decent components shouldn't need one. Cheapo gears - yes, the disc saves even more aggro when it all goes wrong.

That said, it didn't do much to help my OH's BSO over the weekend. It took about 5 yards for the deraileur to end up in the spokes.

Instead of removing it, OP should generate some talk and fix a matching one at the front.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Well ... none of my bikes ever had them fitted, or spoke reflectors, or front and rear reflectors, so I haven't wasted any time fretting about them, or removing them^_^.

albion

Guru
Ha, they break easy when doing repairs.

Your average A 2 B bike seldom stays true so anyone commuting etc might see the disc as a damage saving necessity.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
That said, it didn't do much to help my OH's BSO over the weekend. It took about 5 yards for the deraileur to end up in the spokes.

Instead of removing it, OP should generate some talk and fix a matching one at the front.
I suspect that as the thread was started nearly 4 years ago the OP has probably got it sorted by now.;)

I had an "LBS" in Belfast remove the pie plate after asking them to replace a broken bottom bracket on my hybrid.
Left shop after the repair and changed down to first, crunch snap and bang! The chain had gone down between the cassette and chewed the spokes.
Took the bike to the "LBS" and asked them to sort it, and where had my plate gone, and they refused all knowledge about the plate's existence, yet knew it'd been there as had the bike for a year or so without replacing the wheel. Was p***ed, as they refused everything.

Unfortunately, I left that beauty of a bike in Belfast when I came home, when I could've brought it back and had my decent LBS sort it all out for me.

Top Bottom