Plastic Disc Between Cassette and Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
The problem is, compared to other parts of the country, Norfolk is flat...

Some local racers are at the Ras de Cymru at the moment and they say that the hardest incline in Norfolk barely registers compared to what they're doing.

Round here, "gently rolling" is probably a better description, whilst East Lincolnshire is flat.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

I'm yet to try Mousehold Heath, Kett's Hill is good though. I know (insane) people that ride brakeless, first time I've ever seen someone get off their bike because they couldn't ride down a hill :smile:

NickM

Veteran
Used to happen frequently in the days of penny-farthings!

But then a nice man invented the safety bicycle, and another nice man invented the freewheel, and cycling stopped being the equivalent of today's tearing-up-the-road-on-a-big-motorbike!

Hi colinr and to all of you out there that have let him be your spokesperson.The disc is there for a purpose,wait untill you are unfortunate (know one knows when)and the chain ends up between the spokes and the cassette.You will soon realise that it was not such a good idea to trash it.Happy & Safe Riding to You All.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Actually, I've decided not to ride my bikes at all in case I get run over. Must be spending too long in the commuting forum.

Rob3rt said:
Many bikes arent fitted with them in the 1st place, goes to show how important they are doesnt it.

Mostly it's BSOs that have them and as such they are useful. Basically because the "Sunshine Fastracer" freewheel and the "Cheng-Hing Foo-Yung" chain don't work all that well with the "Honlable Star Index Gear" and the chain does come off the inner sprocket, when the limit screws shake loose.

A properly set up bike with at least basically decent components shouldn't need one. Cheapo gears - yes, the disc saves even more aggro when it all goes wrong.

Anyone remember the oversize pressed alloy spoke protectors that were about half the diameter of the wheel, usually fitted to 5 speed "racers"?

Retro...

g00se

Veteran
colinr said:
I'm yet to try Mousehold Heath, Kett's Hill is good though. I know (insane) people that ride brakeless, first time I've ever seen someone get off their bike because they couldn't ride down a hill :blush:

Norfolk may be flat, but they seemed to build Norwich on the hilliest bit.

Ketts Hill? I would think going down Gas Hill would be the scariest - especially with the junction at the bottom. Kett's Hill has a roundabout which at least gives you a bit of a statistical chance of surviving brakeless :tongue:

snailracer

Über Member
Riding a bike through trails in the woods, all sorts of twigs and debris gets caught in my rear sprockets so I keep my dork disk fitted.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
Twas out on me Carrerra road bike and popped into local bike shop to ask if i could borrow their track pump. Was greated with friendly sniggers when was noted that it was a Carrera.
Left the shop to continue on my ride thinking ; it may only be a Carrera but who out riding all day and who's the one busy working all dayso they can pay for that expensive bike? :evil:
People are quick to slate Carrerras but my old Vanquish has done over 5000 miles and has never missed a beat.
Paid £50 for it from some bloke at work. It's my winter hack now but I'd never part with it!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Don't no what your talking about dork disc
See post 2 (and others) Dork Disc = "pie plate". 'Or to quote BSNYC - also known as “dork discs,” “nerd coasters,” “Minneapolis frisbees,” “45rpm singles,” “idiot pucks,” and “moron shingles”' = Plastic disc fitted to (some) new bikes between cassette and spokes - OK??

Top Bottom