Plastic Disc Between Cassette and Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

g00se

Veteran
With the monstrous 34-tooth cog on my commuter, the cassette has one effectively built-in!

And if I were to ever get the chain up onto that - there's no worry about the chain doing much damage on jumping into the spokes as I'd be crawling up a hill at 2 mph...

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I'd forgotten those jobbies. My first serious bike had one, I understood what it was there for but couldn't stand the noise it made when the spokes flexed.

Removed freewheel (big struggle as I'd no access to a vice) and took it off. Careful adjustment of range screw ensured it was never missed.

hobo

O' wise one
Heres how i remove a cassette with out a chain whip:
Place a big rag over the cassette cogs.
Place a stiff bit of wood or metal bar between the biggest cog teeth (on the side that it will turn against) and the ground with the wheel up right.
Lean on to the wheel with all your weight above and then undo the cassette with tool as usual.
Job done.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
g00se said:
With the monstrous 34-tooth cog on my commuter, the cassette has one effectively built-in!

One could always install a cassette with a much larger cog than you would ever need and set the limit screw so that it behaved as a guard disc - you could even do this with a short cage mech. as you would never use this cog. Alternatively a plastic disc would look a lot less naff if it was made from black plastic and had a toothed edge ......

e-rider

crappy member
youngoldbloke said:
One could always install a cassette with a much larger cog than you would ever need and set the limit screw so that it behaved as a guard disc - you could even do this with a short cage mech. as you would never use this cog. Alternatively a plastic disc would look a lot less naff if it was made from black plastic and had a toothed edge ......

No, that would look equally as bad, if not worse. That would be a long the lines of those pretend disc wheels

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I am very happy to be without one myself, but offer my (not all entirely serious) suggestions to those that feel the need of some protection.

guitarpete247 said:
I wished I'd had on on when I returned home from work one day to find my pride and joy with no derailleur and chewed up back wheel. Young brother had borrowed bike to go round corner to his mates. I knew the derailleur touched the spokes so was very careful when changing down. He didn't and pulled the friction lever fully back. Derailleur dug into the spokes ripping it from it's hanger and destroying half of spokes:ohmy:.
I needed a new derailleur and rear wheel rebuilding. Not enough left of the wheel for me to work on.
A dork plate would have saved me a lot of money. Keep it on if it's not a problem. Look a dork but who cares.

I doubt it - it's there to stop the chain going into the spokes, not the rear mech.

NickM

Veteran
Smokin Joe said:
I find "GET OUT OF THE F*CKING WAY YOU DOZY C*NT", in a loud bellow to be far more effective.

Don't forget to say "thank you" afterwards. Politeness costs nothing.
:sad: :smile: :laugh:

Fiona N

Veteran
colinr said:
Haha, Bike Snob is a brilliant blog.

I just read the pie plate rant - it's almost enough to make me get a pie plate for my (soon to be purchased) single speed/fixed bike (I put it like thatr as I suspect the fixed side of things will be much subordinate to the SS side) as the blog calls the 'Fixed pie plate' apocryphal :blush:

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Ride it fixed first, just in case you get tempted to stay with SS and miss out on all the fun! Fixed pie plates would be cooler than cards in the spokes, I just don't get that one at all.

Fiona N

Veteran
colinr said:
Ride it fixed first, just in case you get tempted to stay with SS and miss out on all the fun!

Ah Colin, I'm an ex-track rider and riding fixed to the track (with a hastily bolted on front brake sometimes) from the station, a matter of 2 km, was scarier than anything that ever happened on the track, even with newbies saddling up :blush: so I'm not sure my old nerves would stand Kendal's traffic :laugh:

Fiona N

Veteran
colinr said:
Fixed pie plates would be cooler than cards in the spokes, I just don't get that one at all.

It's the noise, isn't it, like those oversize tail pipes on Suburu Imprezas (and wannabees) shouting 'look at me' for the terminally insignificant :blush:

Gixxerman

Guru
I have my pie plate still attached. As are my wheel reflectors and frame size sticker. Is it dorky? Do I give a f**k!

Will my bike be any better to ride if I take them off? Not really.
Just bloody ride the thing. It's not a bloody fashion show!

Top Bottom