Plastic Disc Between Cassette and Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Performs a useful function, but looks so naff. Thinks .... why not a hub with an extra large flange on the drive side - or has this been tried already .....?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
campagnolo_orig_hilo2-thumb.JPG

but MUCH heavier than a pie plate.

In actual fact it was designed to help equalising spoke angle/tension...

youngoldbloke

So ..... it has been done! That must be a single speed/track hub? Second thought - why not build a protective device into the back of the largest sprocket on the cassette - it could be done much more neatly, I would imagine.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
youngoldbloke said:
Second thought - why not build a protective device into the back of the largest sprocket on the cassette

It is called a pie plate, it has the advantage of being removable by poseurs :biggrin:

youngoldbloke said:
Second thought - why not build a protective device into the back of the largest sprocket on the cassette - it could be done much more neatly, I would imagine.

Yes that's been done too, Zipp makes the ultimate pie plates: :blush:

felt-da08-zoom.jpg

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I wished I'd had on on when I returned home from work one day to find my pride and joy with no derailleur and chewed up back wheel. Young brother had borrowed bike to go round corner to his mates. I knew the derailleur touched the spokes so was very careful when changing down. He didn't and pulled the friction lever fully back. Derailleur dug into the spokes ripping it from it's hanger and destroying half of spokes:ohmy:.
I needed a new derailleur and rear wheel rebuilding. Not enough left of the wheel for me to work on.
A dork plate would have saved me a lot of money. Keep it on if it's not a problem. Look a dork but who cares.
Got SPD's on both bikes now so no-one can borrow them now;).

youngoldbloke

guitarpete247 said:

- as long as you keep your shoes locked away :becool:.

niggle

I was surprised to find one on my Specialized Allez Sport Triple when I picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Mind you when I swapped the freewheel on my 27 years old Overbury's 531 touring bike I found a fair bit of chewing of the spokes behind it. This bike was new to me earlier this year and I am not the guilty party.

Not sure I can be bothered with doing anything about the Spesh, I could get the shop to take it off when I take it in for the initial service I suppose but its not doing any harm and weighs virtually nothing, however I do need to remove the one on my daughter's Raleigh MTB as its been mangled and is interfering with the freewheel.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
guitarpete247 said:
I wished I'd had on on when I returned home from work one day to find my pride and joy with no derailleur and chewed up back wheel. Young brother had borrowed bike to go round corner to his mates. I knew the derailleur touched the spokes so was very careful when changing down. He didn't and pulled the friction lever fully back. Derailleur dug into the spokes ripping it from it's hanger and destroying half of spokes:ohmy:.
I needed a new derailleur and rear wheel rebuilding. Not enough left of the wheel for me to work on.
A dork plate would have saved me a lot of money. Keep it on if it's not a problem. Look a dork but who cares.
Five seconds with a screwdriver would have set the stop screw so the mech could not touch the spokes.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
youngoldbloke said:
- as long as you keep your shoes locked away :smile:.

I don't have a problem there. I'm size 8 and GF's son's a size 10.

Smokin Joe said:
Five seconds with a screwdriver would have set the stop screw so the mech could not touch the spokes.

I know that and wished I had.
Spoke to brother last weekend. He was complaining about his 18 year old son who takes anyones bike and leaves them around and doesn't care if they are damaged or not:rolleyes:. Just reminded him of what he used to do. He had forgotten about it totally;).

dodgy

I've taken one off with a soldering iron once - make sure you turn it on first :smile:
Obviously the best way is to use the proper tools.

e-rider

crappy member
This thread inspired me to finally remove the disc from my commuter - I couldn't standing looking at it any longer; used the freewheel off technique (tried the snapping method before) 5 mins all done. V. happy now!

Top Bottom