Plastic Disc Between Cassette and Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
colinr

colinr

It's there to stop the chain jamming inbetween the cassette and the wheel, because that will lock the wheel out nicely and damage spokes and possibly you. But... if the gears are set up properly and limit screws adjusted as they should be, it's not likely to happen. Either that or I'm risking my life every time I take my roadie out.

I ride a 70's steel bike anyway, a little plastic thing is the least of my worries.

e-rider

crappy member
Moodyman said:
For God's sake.

Why go through all that trouble to remove something the is viewed by a minority as dorky. There must be some purpose to it so leave it on and enjoy your ride.

Viewed by a minority as dorky - I'd say a vast majority.

battered

Guru
Oof, dead right it had to come off. Imagine if your mates had seen you with that on. That would be worse than having the wrong brand of cranks or, worse, baseball boots in *cough* last month's colours!:biggrin:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Viewed by a minority as dorky - I'd say a vast majority.

Okay vast majority then. A bike's for riding not for drooling (unless it Italian exotica of course).

Just ride it man!

There's none on any of my road bikes that have had new cassettes or wheels but there is one on my Kinesis; it'll come off when I get a new cassette but until then I'm not bothered. I've never had a comment in the road club about it or any other snobbish comment I guess my riding stops any comments.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

I doubt anyone I ride with could care less if the disc was on or off, I just don't like them. Anyhow, the deed is done and it's time for the new toy's maiden voyage.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Alas, to neutralise this dastardly, conspiratorial disease originated by the dark, evil DT-Sapim-Hope industrial complex and spread unwittingly by the like of BSNYC, I urge all righteous CC'ers to unite, rise up and be counted, by ensuring henceforth they have TWO PIE PLATES - one on EACH side of their immaculate rear hubs and spokes!

battered

Guru
I reckon I could ride any one of my bikes past a thousand passers by, a few would notice what colour it was, a few more might notice the brand, or my clothes, and I'd put money on no more than one clocking whether or not it had a pie plate!

Probably the same guy who's trying to work out what brand my chain is. :biggrin:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Part of commute takes me into the city centre and the 'ting -ting' bell on my commuter is quite useful at forewarning half-asleep office workers first thing in the morning.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Moodyman said:
Part of commute takes me into the city centre and the 'ting -ting' bell on my commuter is quite useful at forewarning half-asleep office workers first thing in the morning.

I find "GET OUT OF THE F*CKING WAY YOU DOZY C*NT", in a loud bellow to be far more effective.

Don't forget to say "thank you" afterwards. Politeness costs nothing.

Top Bottom