Plastic flywheel on Bkool Go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heckler

So long story short, my Bkool Go started making a hideous noise on Monday after only a month of ownership and stopped recording mph and watts etc. After sending numerous emails to Bkool for support and not receiving a reply (natch) I took the casing off last night to see if the issue with old ones of flywheel hitting casing was the issue with mine.

It turned out the nut holding the axel on the opposite side of the roller had come completely off so after that was reattached and tightened the roller rolls and it's recording again. My question is, on the axel next to the nut is a plastic flywheel with teeth which has slightly warped, not sure if the nut coming off damaged it or it was always that way, the trainer was always occasionally noisy, the upshot is that it is knocking the casing as it spins, so I'm wondering if it's required at all and if so what purpose it serves. I've emailed Bkool to ask for a replacement but I don't expect a response so I thought I would consult this august body.

Oh and by the way, Hello folks!

CXRAndy

Guru
So long story short, my Bkool Go started making a hideous noise on Monday after only a month of ownership and stopped recording mph and watts etc. After sending numerous emails to Bkool for support and not receiving a reply (natch) I took the casing off last night to see if the issue with old ones of flywheel hitting casing was the issue with mine.

It turned out the nut holding the axel on the opposite side of the roller had come completely off so after that was reattached and tightened the roller rolls and it's recording again. My question is, on the axel next to the nut is a plastic flywheel with teeth which has slightly warped, not sure if the nut coming off damaged it or it was always that way, the trainer was always occasionally noisy, the upshot is that it is knocking the casing as it spins, so I'm wondering if it's required at all and if so what purpose it serves. I've emailed Bkool to ask for a replacement but I don't expect a response so I thought I would consult this august body.

Oh and by the way, Hello folks!

Pictures worth a thousand words, also a little video clip might help, YouTube or alike:okay:

OP
OP
Heckler

Heckler

Pictures worth a thousand words, also a little video clip might help, YouTube or alike:okay:
Long story short, I've included an image for reference for others in a similar position, but I fixed the problem myself. The roller sits on an axle, on one end is the metal flywheel and magnet, on the other as the the enclosed picture shows, a plastic flywheel and the axle nut. At the bottom of the casing is what I believe to be a sensor that I suspect measures rotations of the plastic flywheel to produce probably the virtual speed, so in answer to my own question, yes you do need it. When I first took the casing off the nut was completely off the axle so I reassembled it with the bits that had dropped into the casing, as I mentioned above the upshot was that the plastic flywheel hit the sensor on each rotation as it is slightly warped.

In the day light I dissembled it again and realised I had put two washers between plastic flywheel and axle, swapped one to put it between nut and flywheel and despite the warp it now rotates silently. I noise of flywheel hitting sensor was one I had always had when giving it beans going up hill and just assumed it was a 'feature' of the trainer, I suspect the nut was loose out of the factory and the plastic flywheel was moving slightly (and probably loosening off the nut further).

Interestingly when I was googling this issue I came across several YouTube videos with people experiencing the exact same noise so it's likely to be a bit of a fault with these trainers that the nut loosens over time.

I finally got an email back from Bkool by the way, asking me for the serial number of the unit and where I bought it, which is a bit late to be honest.

Huge caveat here of course, I was comfortable taking a month old smart trainer apart to fix it, I don't suggest anyone else try this unless you are equally comfortable, as I'm sure Bkool would take a dim view of punters fixing their trainers themselves.

Attachments

• 20181216_124739_resized.jpg
    20181216_124739_resized.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
Heckler

Heckler

And the response from Bkool when I told them I didn't need a repair just a replacement plastic flywheel for their month old trainer was:

Thanks for your message. We are sorry, we can not provide the replacement. Here is the cost estimate to repair your Bkool trainer:

• Transport: 50 €
  • New step motor, spindle and small materials: 45 €
  • Tests and trainer calibration: 35 €

Total amount: 130 €.

If you want to proceed with the trainer's repair, please make a bank transfer to our account REDACTED, specifying your name and surname on it. Then, email us back enclosing the transfer's bank slip and indicating all your contact details, including VAT number. Please provide a postal address where it will be easy to find you in business hours. Our courier will soon contact you for the picking up. You should only pack the motor part, keep all the accesories with you.

Needless to say I don't think I'll bother, but the response speaks volumes.

Ed11

Long story short, I've included an image for reference for others in a similar position, but I fixed the problem myself. The roller sits on an axle, on one end is the metal flywheel and magnet, on the other as the the enclosed picture shows, a plastic flywheel and the axle nut. At the bottom of the casing is what I believe to be a sensor that I suspect measures rotations of the plastic flywheel to produce probably the virtual speed, so in answer to my own question, yes you do need it. When I first took the casing off the nut was completely off the axle so I reassembled it with the bits that had dropped into the casing, as I mentioned above the upshot was that the plastic flywheel hit the sensor on each rotation as it is slightly warped.

In the day light I dissembled it again and realised I had put two washers between plastic flywheel and axle, swapped one to put it between nut and flywheel and despite the warp it now rotates silently. I noise of flywheel hitting sensor was one I had always had when giving it beans going up hill and just assumed it was a 'feature' of the trainer, I suspect the nut was loose out of the factory and the plastic flywheel was moving slightly (and probably loosening off the nut further).

Interestingly when I was googling this issue I came across several YouTube videos with people experiencing the exact same noise so it's likely to be a bit of a fault with these trainers that the nut loosens over time.

I finally got an email back from Bkool by the way, asking me for the serial number of the unit and where I bought it, which is a bit late to be honest.

Huge caveat here of course, I was comfortable taking a month old smart trainer apart to fix it, I don't suggest anyone else try this unless you are equally comfortable, as I'm sure Bkool would take a dim view of punters fixing their trainers themselves.

I've been using mine for two or so years now and it's started making that GOD awful noise. I've also taken it apart and after careful examination have concluded that the plastic flywheel is rubbing. What did you do to solve the issue, did you fully remove the flywheel?

Top Bottom