Plastic Plod

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Iv not seen the vid, but I have seen countless other vids of photographers getting hassle from police/Support officers/security etc.

In every video iv seen the photographer always right, they have a right (99% of the time) to record whatever they like while being in public place. The problems occur when the people in power, or the people who should be looking after your best interests don't know the law, or thinks the photographer is a terrorists... Which is stupid because we all know terrorists walk around in broad daylight with a giant £3k lenses on £2.5k cameras.

As an avid photographer I am yet to have a single run in with a official, and if I was I would cooperate 100% within the law, my only hope is the official knows the law as well as I do. I would hate to get arrested if I argued my legal rights, or refused to do what I'm asked because of their incompetence.

OP
OP
D

Dragonwight

Its one thing to come across an official who thinks he/she is right when their not thats always been common place. Its an entirely different thing to be dragged off by policemen in handcuffs to a station kept for 5 hours then released with a fine for something you didnt do.And not even an apology that makes my blood boil.:evil:

col

Legendary Member
I once was involved with an incident a few years ago, and the whole shift of police people lied through their teeth.

Speedywheelsjeans

I once was involved with an incident a few years ago, and the whole shift of police people lied through their teeth.

Same here. I got arrested in an incident that could have been avoided. 2 Plastic Plods were watching only about 50 metres away while an argument was starting, they were 'on duty' but sat down eating crisps in a park shelter. They couldn't be bothered to get up and diffuse the situation so I got assaulted, then I assaulted someone back and was arrested, when we informed the real police of this the station sergeant said 'I don't believe you, these are my 2 best PCSO's' ... couldn't imagine what his worst were like.

Speedywheelsjeans

The best thing is I was asked to wait in the park while they called some real police up from the station to carry out the arrest, I had half an hour to walk away from them as they had no powers of detention which they claimed they did ... waste of space and money.

There's an excellent video showing a 'social experiment' where various camera carriers from a full film crew to somone with a point and shoot special stand on public property and take pictures/film various buildings around london. Their intention being to highlight overzealous and inaccurate attempts to prevent filming at various locations.

IIRC various security staff attempt to intefere but when (in one case) the police turn up (not a PCSO either) they actually back the filmakers right to be there.

If anyone knows the vid I mean, feel free to link to it as I tried to find it but failed....

this one?

Possibly, youtube blocked at work so will check later but if it is then its a good video^_^

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Same here. I got arrested in an incident that could have been avoided. 2 Plastic Plods were watching only about 50 metres away while an argument was starting, they were 'on duty' but sat down eating crisps in a park shelter. They couldn't be bothered to get up and diffuse the situation so I got assaulted, then I assaulted someone back and was arrested, when we informed the real police of this the station sergeant said 'I don't believe you, these are my 2 best PCSO's' ... couldn't imagine what his worst were like.
unlikely he'd say to you "These two are plonkers" and his two best may also be his two worst.

Speedywheelsjeans

unlikely he'd say to you "These two are plonkers" and his two best may also be his two worst.

Aye that's true, but refusing to take statements on the matter when all we wanted was for them to admit that they were eating lunch in a public place while out on the beat, being paid to work. I have nothing against the police in general, but this incident really made me despise my local station. They considered me pushing someone off me who had broken my nose over an argument (their dog aggressively attacking mine multiple times, then attacking me for picking my dog up out of the way, so I told them to put their dog on a lead) as an assault because it was done with excessive force, I'm sorry if I didn't want to be smashed in the face with a large plastic retractable dog lead again.

Funnily enough charges were dropped on both parties, maybe they didn't want their useless plastics to be mentioned in court.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
This winds me up a lot. I'm disappointed that she settled out of court, but at least it is being reinvestigated.

I'm a keen photographer, and I get so angry when we are treated suspiciously - either potential terrorists or paedophiles usually - just for taking photos in a public place. Which is (bar a small handful of exceptions) entirely legal.

Your legal rights are:
-You can take photos of anyone and anything in public (bar a couple of exceptions like military buildings. These should have clear signs)
-No-one has the legal right to demand you show them the photos on your camera, let alone insist you delete them (even if you are on private property they can only insist that you leave)
-You can take photos of any person in public (as there is no expectation of privacy in a public place), so long as you're not harassing them (I.E. don't chase them down the street or get right in their face)

Generally our police force is very good - but you do have to keep your eye on them.

As far as I can tell PCSO stands for Police Constable Shaped Object.

Top Bottom