Plastic Spoke Protector

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XTCRider

Am after a Spoke protector, the plastic thing that goes on the hub between spokes and cassette. I have one on my MTB that is shaped to fit Shimano Freehub regardless of Spoke pattern. need one for my SCR3 as I have new 105 wheels on it now and dont want chain coming off eating the flat black spokes for brekkie. Anyone know where you can get them from. Can only find one on Wiggle and it is spoke dependent.

Would take it off MTB and put on SCR3 but I have new Mavic wheels on that now so need it there.

bonj2

why do you want one on? What purpose do they serve? I've got them on both of my bikes but my mate says i should take them off 'cos they're naff.

Peyote

The ones I've had on my bikes have become brittle then over the course of several months have slowly disintegrated.

Only ever had my chain wedge itself between cassette and spokes once, and that was because I messed around with the cable stops without fully appreciating how they worked! Wished I'd had a protector when it happened though, it chewed chunks out of my spokes...

Haven't used/needed them for several years now though.

OP
OP
XTCRider

XTCRider

I agree bonj they can look a bit naff, but i would rather pay a couple of quid for one than have my spokes mangeled if it did come off and need a replacement wheel. Just bought the ones that are on

skwerl

I've got the one I immediately removed from my bike. It was fitted to a Roval Fusee wheel but I think it's freewheel specific. Don't remember it fixing to spokes. PM me your address and I'll send it to you

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Now I'm no snob, God forbid, but I would rather ram a Record mech through the spokes of an expensive carbon wheel at 50mph on a yearly basis than be seen DEAD with one of those things on my bike.

bonj2

hmmm., i'm not personally saying they are naff, I don't really notice it tbh, but i would think they're naff if they're unnecessary. I can't decide how necessary they are, I'm not sure the chain is that likely to overshoot. And even if it does, isn't the principle of having trailing spokes coming up the inside of the hub flange supposed to deflect it rather than letting it get stuck? (see Sheldon's wheel building guide)

bonj2

Smokin Joe said:
Now I'm no snob, God forbid, but I would rather ram a Record mech through the spokes of an expensive carbon wheel at 50mph on a yearly basis than be seen DEAD with one of those things on my bike.

hang on - if you're going 50mph, you're not likely to be trying to shift onto your biggest sprocket are you...

OP
OP
XTCRider

XTCRider

It appears the opinion is not to bother, I just assumed cos it came with one it was sort of required. I know they can look naff. Its a wonder the bike part MFRS dont address this and make some that improve the look of the bike or some blingy ones.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh no, you can't put one of those on. A correctly adjusted mech will never hit the spokes - never ever had that happen. Adjust mech when you fit it, or change wheels, doesn't need doing again.

skwerl

XTCRider said:
It appears the opinion is not to bother, I just assumed cos it came with one it was sort of required. I know they can look naff. Its a wonder the bike part MFRS dont address this and make some that improve the look of the bike or some blingy ones.

just as well. seems I binned mine, so you can't have it anyway!

barq

fossyant said:
A correctly adjusted mech will never hit the spokes - never ever had that happen. Adjust mech when you fit it, or change wheels, doesn't need doing again.

Oh yes it can. :ohmy: It will go through the spokes if you hit your rear mech on something. I did that last Christmas when the rear end of my bike slid on mud and clipped a fallen tree. Rear mech ripped through the spokes, destroyed itself, the rear mech hanger and elongated the rear triangle of the frame.

Edit: I admit they aren't cool, but don't assume that just because you set your rear mech up competently that your rear wheel (and frame) are safe.

Top Bottom