Playing with Candy Apple.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Bringing my bmx up to date with a fancy paint job, thought i would have a go with a bit of candy apple red, am happy with the result so far, still a bit to do,
candy coat.jpg
candy 3.jpg

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Wow, that is real blingy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmm, so silver base, then the candy paint then clear coat.

Was the patterned black applied before the candy. Other question, would there be enough for frame and forks on a 90's MTB ?

Back in the day (first wave of BMX) Candy Apple was a big thing - mainly on US bikes. (although I only ever had boring silver)

But not with the fancy black pattern. And not with silly sloping top tubes either! ;-)

It's actually nice to see that the bikes kidz are riding today aren't all THAT much different from 1985. Not like the changes in road bikes ...

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

Hmm, so silver base, then the candy paint then clear coat.

Was the patterned black applied before the candy. Other question, would there be enough for frame and forks on a 90's MTB ?
Black is put over base coat then candy on top then laquer. Could possibly do a whole bike but it would leave the candy a bit sparce if doing forks aswell, i would do forks another colour.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

Back in the day (first wave of BMX) Candy Apple was a big thing - mainly on US bikes. (although I only ever had boring silver)

But not with the fancy black pattern. And not with silly sloping top tubes either! ;-)

It's actually nice to see that the bikes kidz are riding today aren't all THAT much different from 1985. Not like the changes in road bikes ...
It's my bike, i am a fully grown pensioner.:laugh::laugh::laugh: It's to good to let the kidz play with it.:laugh::laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Been tempted to get my old MTB done, either powder coat or myself. I'm not bad at spray painting and it's all in the prep and taking your time. Would probably cost more to rattle can, but I could effect a repair if the bike got scuffed up (or when being an MTB).

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

Been tempted to get my old MTB done, either powder coat or myself. I'm not bad at spray painting and it's all in the prep and taking your time. Would probably cost more to rattle can, but I could effect a repair if the bike got scuffed up (or when being an MTB).
I got quoted £90.00 for powder coat and £50.00 to sandblast frame, the rattle cans £40.00 and a bit of graft to rub frame down. Plus the satisfaction of diy. :okay:

Top Bottom