Pleasant Cycle Routes in London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

her_welshness

Route 21 starts at Greenwich/Deptford and goes through the Waterlink Way, and eventually finds the Cuckoo Trail and then ultimately the south coast at Eastbourne.

The London Cycle network has got a quiet route which goes from south-east London and through various parks : Ruskin, Brockwell Park, Clapham Common, Wimbledon and then into Richmond. Just follow the blue signs with the white bicycle.

There is also quiet routes which go up through Rotherhithe and through the ecological park there.

If I were you I would not go anywhere near the Greenwich Foot tunnel, which although it claims it has re-opened it is in varying degrees of lifts operating/not operating/stairs operating/not operating, its just a nightmare at the mo. Also the various canals around the Olympics are still in a 'special' way too.

OP
OP
Adasta

Adasta

I ended up doing the Wandle Trail on what was a very drizzly Sunday afternoon.

On the whole, it was great. The dampness meant I spent 95% of the route alone, which was what I was after. However, I did have a minor ordeal with my brakes. It seems that small stones (from the unpaved paths) got stuck to the wheel rims; whenever I slowed, the rear brake make a horrible screeching sound accompanied by a terrible mechanical crunching sound. I think I sorted it, though - need to give the bike a clean at some point...and probably by some new brake blocks.

My only complaint is that the route seems to end quite abruptly. Unless I made a mistake, I didn't see an "end of route" sign and ended up by a McDonalds in something of an industrial park.

do be careful on the Wandle Trail bridges. They are very slippery when wet

Thankfully, my hazard perception was functioning quite well that day and I spotted the narrow, wet bridges. I took them at a walking pace. :becool:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Aha, the marathon route! I saw last year that a few riders met up at the roundabout on the heath and pre-followed the route. (I like the concept of pre-following!) Do you have a rough start time or is it a closely-guarded secret?

That wasn't me. I started it a couple of years ago, but got a phone call and had to stop at Greenwich. If you follow the route from the painted lines, then I think you only have the day before to do it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm going to try the Wandle Trail tomorrow. Going to get train to Wandsworth Common.

Is the Crosstrail or Sirrus better, I am thinking the former if there is any sort of loose surface, although the latter is lighter to lug around stations!?

Top Bottom