Pleasant, seemingly random memories.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

A trip to Dymchurch and my dad ferrying my gran to the beach from the station on the back of his scooter, she must have been in her eighties, my dad had taken me down on the scooter whilst the rest of the family come down on the bus and the light railway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gbb

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
[QUOTE 4619854, member: 9609"]a whiff of diesel fumes and that wonderful sound of a scanny V8 pulling heavy[/QUOTE]

Lorries eh? My dad was in the haulage game and I worked for him for a few years in my youth, I loved the oily smells around the yard and the sounds such as the soft put, put chugging of a Gardner 180, and the harsher cracking of the Cummins 220

Reactions: gbb

Oxo

Guru
I also have a clock. I have never not known this clock, as a kid it hung in the dining room, my Dad would keep it wound and set it by Radio 4 in the morning.
When my Dad died my brother had it but by then it didn't work any more. On my brothers death it went to my sister who never got around to getting it seen to so she eventually gave it to me.
Even at 'mates rates' it was £200 to get it restored, probably more than it's worth but when I hear that tick it is the same tick I grew up hearing.
Priceless.
20161231_2108541_zps08inimdt.jpg
I have a clock with a similar family history. Unfortunately I never got it repaired and it sits in the loft.
Timeless.

D

Deleted member 1258

We lived at Folkstone on the Kent coast and had relatives this side of London. I remember a weeks holiday with An elderly aunt, again me and my dad went up on his scooter whilst the rest of the family traveled by train. I slept in a double bed for the first time that week, it was that soft I almost fell in it and It had a big fluffy cover on it I could almost loose myself in and large soft pillows. Whilst we were there Dad removed an old Apple tree from the garden, dug it up and dug the roots out.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Lorries eh? My dad was in the haulage game and I worked for him for a few years in my youth, I loved the oily smells around the yard and the sounds such as the soft put, put chugging of a Gardner 180, and the harsher cracking of the Cummins 220
Or the bag of nails clatter of 2 stroke Commer lorries in our village, early 1970s, run by a small operator for sugar beet loads etc. You could hear the blooming things a mile away :laugh:

postman

Legendary Member
My dad helping my mum.He used to go out every evening and bring the washing in around midnight during the summer.He was a helpful chap.I often heard mum saying he was helping the Police with their enquiries.Great bloke.

(it's all a joke folks)

Alex H

Legendary Member
I have a clock as well. It was given to my father's mother as a wedding present in 1906. It lived in the room where we slept when we went for holidays (Scotland) and has a 1/2 hour chime.:sad:

When my gran died, my Dad got the clock, but despite hanging in every which way in the house, it would not run. He took it to a shop and the guy had it for a week working fine. Dad took it back home, but it still wouldn't go for more than half an hour.

When I got married my Dad gave the clock to me (Thanks Dad ^_^). It's now been working fine in all our houses for the last 40 odd years, although I've stopped the chime (it really is very loud)

Spooky eh?

3.jpg

TrishE

Über Member
I've known the Grandmother clock in this photo all my life, I remember it at my gt aunty lil's in the hall as a child and me stomping towards it making it go dong...dong..my 83 year old mum, also in the photo, says she remembers doing the same thing as a child...no wonder the poor thing doesn't work now.
IMAG1497_1.jpg

Last edited:

pplpilot

Guru
I have a clock as well. It was given to my father's mother as a wedding present in 1906. It lived in the room where we slept when we went for holidays (Scotland) and has a 1/2 hour chime.:sad:

When my gran died, my Dad got the clock, but despite hanging in every which way in the house, it would not run. He took it to a shop and the guy had it for a week working fine. Dad took it back home, but it still wouldn't go for more than half an hour.

When I got married my Dad gave the clock to me (Thanks Dad ^_^). It's now been working fine in all our houses for the last 40 odd years, although I've stopped the chime (it really is very loud)

Spooky eh?

View attachment 155985

Exactly the same clock my parents have. Blimey.

Top Bottom