Please donate.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Am I being cynical but is the UK turning into a nation relying purely on donations to support itself? Everything you read or watch ends up asking you to donate x number of pounds to help. What do we pay our taxes for I wonder ? This is not a political debate by the way but just an observation.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The saddest of all is those voluntary organisations that were originally designed as an extra are now relied by authorities in lieu of funding what they should.

Big John

Guru
While we're on the subject of charitable donations........the bike charity where I work relies on donated bikes for us to refurbish and sell cheaply to the local community. The other day we had TWO brand spanking new E bikes donated - a his and hers set up. They still had all the paperwork attached to them in plastic wallets and not a mark on them. How generous are folks, eh? Apparently they'd bought a camper van and these were too big to be routinely ferried around so they'd bought a couple of folders instead. They could have sold the E bikes but instead chose to donate them to a charity and we were the lucky recipient. Sort of restores all your faith in humanity, doesn't it?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It's nothing new.. When I was at primary skool in the late 1950's / early 1960's we had tabletop sales to buy pencils and exercise books for the school 🚸

But, yes, so many begging TV adverts that it makes people 'turn off'.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yes, children's health should not be dependant on charity. Then there are several others I feel the same about.

Yes and others that get me are things like

'Help For Heros'

I'm sorry, but the mere existence of that charity is surely just downright offenssive. If the Government/State sends people to fight for them, then... 🙄

Last edited:
In about 1947 my Dad was a patient in teh spinal injuries unit of an RAF hospital due to a broken spine caused by an accident when bombing up a bomber

He had been there for 2 years

AT some point toward the end a senior officer came round - which was brave - they normally got a load of abuse (what could they do - put them in prison??? - most of them would never get out of bed again!!!)

Anyway - this officer gave a short speech

the guts of it was that they had all been injured in the service of their Country and the Country would do everything possible to help them.
Whatever they needed the Country would provide

because that was the deal
The Country put you in harms way
harm happened
The Country had a duty to do what it could to help

so - tell me - what do Help for Heroes and all the other charities spend their money on???

They should be sitting in their office looking embarrassed and wondering what to do with all this money they have collected because the Country has already done everything possible

and yet I hear stories of how they have bought a new wheelchair to allow someone to get out and about better?????

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
What's more, it is all rather nauseating when w4nker politicians talk about the proud "spirit of the nation" when referencing charities... Im a fairly laid back, gentle giant but i would make an exception here...

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
In about 1947 my Dad was a patient in teh spinal injuries unit of an RAF hospital due to a broken spine caused by an accident when bombing up a bomber

He had been there for 2 years

AT some point toward the end a senior officer came round - which was brave - they normally got a load of abuse (what could they do - put them in prison??? - most of them would never get out of bed again!!!)

Anyway - this officer gave a short speech

the guts of it was that they had all been injured in the service of their Country and the Country would do everything possible to help them.
Whatever they needed the Country would provide

because that was the deal
The Country put you in harms way
harm happened
The Country had a duty to do what it could to help

so - tell me - what do Help for Heroes and all the other charities spend their money on???

They should be sitting in their office looking embarrassed and wondering what to do with all this money they have collected because the Country has already done everything possible

and yet I hear stories of how they have bought a new wheelchair to allow someone to get out and about better?????

I am no big tub thumper for the forces, etc, but it seems to me that if everything was as good as you say it was for your father and others, then why do these charities and so on exist? To cash in on the monthly love for the forces we get every year in the run up to Poppy day?

There is a local charity to me that has been about for decades and is a home/hospice for old soldiers and other personnel (Erskine).
Why should it still exist then?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom