Please help me find a wheel!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I need a replacement rear wheel for my PX London Road.
It needs to be strong and cheap so happy with heavy.
Specs are:

130mm 5mm QR axle
6 bolt brake discs (but can use a centre lock converter)
700C

Why can I not find one? Is everything 12mm thru-axle these days? Any pointers greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Now Sorted ^_^

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
If it's a disc wheel then it'll be a 135mm rear axle rather than 130mm I would have thought. Unfortunately they are fairly hard to come by compared to thru axle wheels.

@vickster has a complete wheelset here in the classified section at the moment at a good price which is definitely worth a look.

I need a replacement rear wheel for my PX London Road.
It needs to be strong and cheap so happy with heavy.
Specs are:

130mm 5mm QR axle
6 bolt brake discs (but can use a centre lock converter)
700C

Why can I not find one? Is everything 12mm thru-axle these days? Any pointers greatly appreciated!
Just replace thru axle endcaps with QR ones they pull out then press on? Not sure it works for all wheels, but worked on new Eastons and took 5 mins. Good luck :okay:

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks both, have asked Vic a question about those wheels for sale.

I did buy a set of RS170's, wrongly assuming that all road bike wheels were the same axle size, unfortunately the endcaps can't be replaced on Shimano's.

si_c

Guru
I did buy a set of RS170's, wrongly assuming that all road bike wheels were the same axle size, unfortunately the endcaps can't be replaced on Shimano's.

It's usually the more expensive wheels that have interchangeable end-caps as the hubs need to be designed to support it. Shimano don't do this even on their more expensive wheelsets. I've got a wheelset using Shimano hubs (FH-RS505-CL at the rear) but I built the wheels myself. My Bontrager wheelset has interchangeable endcaps but cost a fair bit more.

silva

Über Member
Totally misinterpreted the threads title, thought wheel was stolen or rolled out of sight after losening. :tongue:

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I'm even more confused now!

Vicksters wheels are 9mm QR whereas my axles are 5mm QR. Google suggests that a 5mm QR should fit a 9mm which makes no sense to me!
Anybody have any idea? The skewers that fit my bike are definitely 100mm rear and 130mm front.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
The axle is 9mm and the QR will be 5mm. All hubs are 100mm at the front and road hubs are 130mm for rim brake and 135 for disc brakes hubs. 130mm is too narrow to accommodate a disc rotor without compromising the wheel.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
The axle is 9mm and the QR will be 5mm. All hubs are 100mm at the front and road hubs are 130mm for rim brake and 135 for disc brakes hubs. 130mm is too narrow to accommodate a disc rotor without compromising the wheel.

Thanks for that, I've edited my post as I stated 130 for the front!
Really can't understand why the road skewers fit then! Could it be because it's only 8 speed?

si_c

Guru
Thanks for that, I've edited my post as I stated 130 for the front!
Really can't understand why the road skewers fit then! Could it be because it's only 8 speed?
There's usually a bit more than 5mm extra threaded on the QRs from my experience especially with Shimano skewers. Might be worth getting a ruler and checking the distance on the frame as that's the key one.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
There's usually a bit more than 5mm extra threaded on the QRs from my experience especially with Shimano skewers. Might be worth getting a ruler and checking the distance on the frame as that's the key one.

Thanks for that, and the heads-up on Vicksters wheels. A fellow London Road owner has assured me they'll fit so payment made and wheels sourced :becool:

Ajax Bay

Guru
my axles are 5mm QR. Google suggests that a 5mm QR should fit a 9mm which makes no sense to me!
Anybody have any idea? The skewers that fit my bike are definitely 130mm rear and 130mm front.
OK
Why does having a 5mm QR skewer passing through the centre (axially) of a 9mm axle 'make no sense?
Don't measure the QR skewers, measure the distance (OLD) between the 'locknuts': the nuts at each end of the axle.
It's easier to measure the distance between the rear dropouts, with the wheel removed.
@si_c has told you the score (although his use of "all" is a bit dodgy).
My rear QR skewer (for a 135mm OLD) is 182mm. That includes the 'ends' and about 10mm for the two dropouts. How long is yours?

Top Bottom