Please recommend... heavy duty dog clippers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to get my Border stripped , unfortunately it made her skin go all sore with puss eruptions all over, she then needed antibiotics for the infection and to stop her shaking.
I tried that 3 times.
I was told you only strip the coats if you want to show her, best to clip.
Professional groomer at the vets ..so not just a novice attempt

Wow sounds horrific, if her skin was getting sore then something was clearly wrong some where.

Stripping maintains the coats natural thickness, density (especially in 2 layer coats) and overall protection as well as it's colour. It takes us +4hrs to strip our Irish Terrier but this is usually only every 9 months or so and less as they get older. The coat on our Boarder grew much faster and he needed stripping every 5-6 months.

The Andis clippers we use are for the Cocker Spaniel's legs as i'm terrible with scissors, you wouldn't want me in a hairdressers that's for sure:laugh:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sounds awful @Levo-Lon. Poor dog. I dont use a stripping comb on any of mine - do it all by hand, an have never had that trouble. Only once a year after winter for my terriers: they work, so get quite a thick thatch of undercoat in winter. Brushed every day too.
Dogs are work. There’s a thread somewhere else asking if a dog would be okay in a flat. My lips were bleeding....

Yes I think the combs are the worst.
I do believe it was hand strip..but they probably used a comb too ..

I'd love another dog but as we both work full time it's not going to happen sadly

Levo-Lon

Guru
Wow sounds horrific, if her skin was getting sore then something was clearly wrong some where.

Stripping maintains the coats natural thickness, density (especially in 2 layer coats) and overall protection as well as it's colour. It takes us +4hrs to strip our Irish Terrier but this is usually only every 9 months or so and less as they get older. The coat on our Boarder grew much faster and he needed stripping every 5-6 months.

The Andis clippers we use are for the Cocker Spaniel's legs as i'm terrible with scissors, you wouldn't want me in a hairdressers that's for sure:laugh:

I tried hand stripping but it was very difficult, dog was very agitated and quite happy to attack you:laugh:

Clippers worked really well for me,took 2-3 short 30 min sessions over the day with treats..

She looked fantastic with her coat short ,almost pup like..

It was £50 at the groomers 10 yr ago!!
Then another £70 for vet Bill's....

So I taught myself to do her coat

Last edited:
I tried hand stripping but it was very difficult, dog was very agitated and quite happy to attack you:laugh:

Clippers worked really well for me,took 2-3 short 30 min sessions over the day with treats..

She looked fantastic with her coat short ,almost pup like..

It was £50 at the groomers 10 yr ago!!
Then another £70 for vet Bill's....

So I thought myself to do her coat

Yes that's the clear advantage in DIY, you'll save the cost of the clippers in 1yr easily. Then it's worth getting some decent ones that will last a long time and can have the blades resharpened and replaced:okay:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Another vote for Masterclips,
Thanks for that link, their stuff looks good, but every item is out of stock. Same as human hair clippers, dog clippers seem to be in great demand during this lockdown, for similar reasons as to why we are looking for a set. Poor old Murphy the labradoodle might just have to remain in his ragamuffin state until things return to normal again.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Can't help with a suggestion but we did our cat's claws the other for the first time , we were both dreading it , so God knows what the cat thought .

All went well thankfully

Top Bottom