Please recommend... heavy duty dog clippers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My fiancee is the proud owner of a large labradoodle who was badly in need of a trim. Normally he would be off to the groomers, but due to current restrictions that is obviously not possible.

So...we tried some DIY with a set of clippers which weren't up to the job, and, well, let's just say it hasn't been a great success! This guy really needs something more robust to get through his matted coat, and a load of knots.

I know this is the very forum to answer the question, as there's bound to be dog owners who have had similar problems. His coat is like a sheep and needs some TLC!

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
You need a skip tooth blade to rough the coat down, then a finishing blade to tidy up. It’s quite a skilled job to get right. Faces, anuses, bellies need special care - you might be clipping yourself into a vet bill. Cheap units are rubbish. I’ve Lister shears (but then I was a shepherd and shearer for a few years!) which do a great job but they are £££
A decent brush through the coat twice a week is also best to keep the thing from matting up.
Carefully used round end barbers scissors can make a decent job if the dog is quiet and you have time.

These people do great clippers:- https://masterclip.co.uk/products-dog-clippers
The breed specific deal is just the usual blades sold for said breed, you can have any/many blades if you want.
We have a poodle and we had a 12mm blade to start with but we actually like shorter, so she's now on a 6mm body and 9mm legs (teddybear/lamb cut) skip cut blade is better if you only cut 4-6 weeks rather than stay on top of it fortnightly. I bought corded but hanker for a set of cordless but they're a bit spendy. Also need a short blade to do bum and bits...

tom73

Guru
We've a Wahl set of clippers never had a problem.
The worse of the knots you may have to just cut off or run a scissors blade though it.
Hard Pin Slicker Brush will help too as will a grooming Comb.
Most common dog bushes are just not up to the job they tend to be too soft.

AndreaJ

Veteran
I use Wahl clippers on my spaniel and they work fine, if you do need to cut knots off with scissors use a comb between the dogs skin and the knot and cut along the comb so that you don’t accidentally cut the dog.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Levo-Lon

Guru
I used pet specific clippers on my Border Terrier, very tough coat , they worked well

A decent brush through the coat twice a week is also best to keep the thing from matting up.
Disagree. You should groom a dog with longish coat every day. Every day is less time consuming than twice a week. As the coat doesn't get tangles knots etc you will find it easier and much quicker. Of course you are much less likely to forget if it becomes an every day routine. My Springer is from a working line so shorter fur and no silly long ears so easier to groom. The back of the ears on all springers will knot if you leave it once a week and probably after just a few days.
Nope the way to stop matting knots etc is to groom little but often, in other words every day.

Andis are another good brand of animal clippers although not sure if clippering is the correct method on a Labradoodle, should be some good videos and guides out there though.

Many dog coats require some form of stripping (like most Terriers), and you can use Coat Kings from Mars or simple hand stripping knives.

Overall i'm not keen on clippers as they are quite extreme and often ruin coats.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I was just trying to be polite.

Quite agree: I strip my terriers by hand, and makes a much better coat than clippers. Big labradoodle might take some doing...

I used to get my Border stripped , unfortunately it made her skin go all sore with puss eruptions all over, she then needed antibiotics for the infection and to stop her shaking.
I tried that 3 times.
I was told you only strip the coats if you want to show her, best to clip.
Professional groomer at the vets ..so not just a novice attempt

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I used to get my Border stripped , unfortunately it made her skin go all sore with puss eruptions all over, she then needed antibiotics for the infection and to stop her shaking.
I tried that 3 times.
I was told you only strip the coats if you want to show her, best to clip.
Professional groomer at the vets ..so not just a novice attempt
Sounds awful @Levo-Lon. Poor dog. I dont use a stripping comb on any of mine - do it all by hand, an have never had that trouble. Only once a year after winter for my terriers: they work, so get quite a thick thatch of undercoat in winter. Brushed every day too.
Dogs are work. There’s a thread somewhere else asking if a dog would be okay in a flat. My lips were bleeding....

Top Bottom