Very heavy duty rear hub required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker BoB

Well I was thinking Hope but any other ideas for rear hubs?
Big fat ones basically,I am killing my rear OEM wheel fast ..
For a £6k bike I'm not impressed but hey I did buy the base model for that reason..

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What is the OEM hub/wheel and how are you killing it? How many hubs have you gone through so far?

To get the best help you might give us a bit more info to go on. What type of bike, what type of riding/use, are you particularly heavy or strong? Without this any suggestions are pretty pointless......

PapaZita

Guru
I have some Hope Pro4 hubs and have been very happy with them.

What exactly is the problem with your current wheel? I would say that the robustness of the hub itself probably isn’t the biggest factor in the strength and reliability of a wheel. Premium hubs may save weight more than they add strength. For strength and reliability you probably can’t do a whole lot better than a Shimano hub with cup & cone bearings.

OP
OP
B

Biker BoB

What is the OEM hub/wheel and how are you killing it? How many hubs have you gone through so far?

To get the best help you might give us a bit more info to go on. What type of bike, what type of riding/use, are you particularly heavy or strong? Without this any suggestions are pretty pointless......
Beating it to death. Rocks, drops high speed downhills off road.
Lots of torque uphill and it's carrying 150kg .
Jumps lots of full load turns in the gravel and on the cliff path. Lots and lots of big steps too so generally destroying it ... Fast...
I have DT and hope on other machines.
I not a real fan of Shimano hubs but an XT disc hub on one of my machines seems ok on the rear.
It needs to have big flanges and run a 203mm disc brake,12 speed ..

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So I deduce it's a mountain bike? From your description can't see how the hubs are being affected, wheels and spokes yes but hubs?
So what bike is it?
'For a £6k bike I'm not impressed but hey I did buy the base model for that reason..'
Don't understand this, please explain.

OP
OP
B

Biker BoB

So I deduce it's a mountain bike? From your description can't see how the hubs are being affected, wheels and spokes yes but hubs?
So what bike is it?
'For a £6k bike I'm not impressed but hey I did buy the base model for that reason..'
Don't understand this, please explain.
The bike is cheap so base level wheels.
They are rubbish and not up to me and the terrain.
Yes it's a mountain bike .
Hubs get heavy use in my off-road adventures so a cheap base level hub isn't going to last long at the rate I'm having to maintain it so thought I would ask if anyone has suggestions on strong Hub's

OP
OP
B

Biker BoB

Right I have determined it is a synchros rear hub,it's not good...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
XT or Hope built into a decent rim. It's an e-bike folks carrying some weight - 150 kg (incl. bike and rider).

Depends on how you are killing it also. Rough bearings/snapped axels/bent rims ?

OP
OP
B

Biker BoB

Alex tubeless rims built on formula hubs labeled as synchros and sold with the bike factory fit.
The hubs rubbish basically because it's formula.
It will continue to fall apart no matter what I try to do so onwards and upwards.
I'll build a nice rear wheel next week.

OP
OP
B

Biker BoB

XT or Hope built into a decent rim. It's an e-bike folks carrying some weight - 150 kg (incl. bike and rider).

Depends on how you are killing it also. Rough bearings/snapped axels/bent rims ?
Yes. I will build up a real wheel next week.
It's a shame as the bike rides lovely, another cost saving exercise by the manufacturer basically but I did buy the low spec bike so expected this.
Was just hoping for more than 100 miles from the rear hub..... Formula junk....😂

Top Bottom