SRAM rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello.
Im wanting to change my rear derailleur (cable) to sram etap set up on my E-tandem.
I’m not sure which type I would need, ie long cage or std cage.
My rear cassette is shimano still 11 speed11-42.
I’ve read that you can use a 12 speed with adjustments to negate the 12th shift.
Any advice on which type would be appreciated.

Do you have Shimano shifters?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I wouldn't use 12 speed electronic with 11 speed cassette - how will you stop the mech not straining against the stops - it's not quite the same as cable. Also I think the cassette spacing is tighter on 12 speed.

I wouldn't use 12 speed electronic with 11 speed cassette - how will you stop the mech not straining against the stops - it's not quite the same as cable. Also I think the cassette spacing is tighter on 12 speed.

You simply program the system to 11 speed and set the stops as required. Di2 is clever.

OP
OP
ghawks100

ghawks100

Thought I would add,my tandem is a Mtb set up.
the Di2 is cable less, But it still is wired,so not what I’m after.

Fair enough, do you need a computer too ? It's SRAM AXS not DI2 ? :tongue:

Point taken, I missed that detail. I'll be very surprised if AXS doesn't do the same. Unlike a hard indent like in a mechanical lever, these derailers work with piezo motors and it is simple to create infinite increments. But I'm sure you know that.

One thing I like about Di2 (other brands are available) is that you can fine tune each gear. On my Di2 Alfine hub, the 6th gear is iffy and needs more "pull" than the others. I can go in and adjust that one gear in five increments, indicated as -2, -1, 0, +1 and -"2. We can't do that with cable gears.

Yes you need a computer, or a smartphone. It isn't perfect.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Point taken, I missed that detail. I'll be very surprised if AXS doesn't do the same. Unlike a hard indent like in a mechanical lever, these derailers work with piezo motors and it is simple to create infinite increments. But I'm sure you know that.

One thing I like about Di2 (other brands are available) is that you can fine tune each gear. On my Di2 Alfine hub, the 6th gear is iffy and needs more "pull" than the others. I can go in and adjust that one gear in five increments, indicated as -2, -1, 0, +1 and -"2. We can't do that with cable gears.

Yes you need a computer, or a smartphone. It isn't perfect.

I don't know any of that - my mechanical stuff just works. And it's all 'old'.

Top Bottom