Please recommend me some outstanding fiction books for my christmas kindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The Wimbledon poisoner by Nigel Williams. Very funny.

As with supermarkets - Do be aware of "offers"

The popular authors often have series of books a s "compilations" or "collections"

However they are often more expensive than buying the books separately!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You could give Terry Pratchett's Discworld books a go. Light, funny easily reqdable. Very clever and well observed parallel takes on this world.

Second the recommendation for Rebus novels by Ian Rankin.

If you fancy a bit of History in your detective stories, C J Sansom writes a series of novels about a Henry VIII era lawyer Matthew Shardlake. Very readable and well researched.

I like Jon Ronson's books too.

I've found some absolute gems in the free offers and 99p books by new or unknown authors. For that money you can take a punt and if you don't like it, so what.

You could give Terry Pratchett's Discworld books a go. Light, funny easily reqdable. Very clever and well observed parallel takes on this world.

Second the recommendation for Rebus novels by Ian Rankin.

If you fancy a bit of History in your detective stories, C J Sansom writes a series of novels about a Henry VIII era lawyer Matthew Shardlake. Very readable and well researched.

I like Jon Ronson's books too.

I've found some absolute gems in the free offers and 99p books by new or unknown authors. For that money you can take a punt and if you don't like it, so what.

If you like the CJ Sansum novels then try the Thomas Chaloner series by Susanna Gregory.

Similar format, but based in the restoration period

The other thing is to look at the authors websites, quite often there are now "samplers" or "tasters" that will allow you to explore new authors cheaply

Also look at short stories on Amazon for the same reason

For instance the Dan Shephard by Stephen Leather are quite popular in their genre and you can get 4 free stories as "Short Fuses" snd four more as "More Short Fuses" from the Kindle Startr

If you like the author then invest, if not it hasn't cost you anything

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

User16390

Thanks for the recommendations from everyone, many of which I will try. I am just starting Knots and Crosses, Inspector rebus as the books came recommended from quite a few on the forum and I have watched the TV programs and found them very entertaining.

NOT a Kindle issue, but I often find that reading a novel after enjoying the programme taints my enjoyment of one or the other

Especially when there has been alteration to the plot or outcome to meet the programme's intended audience

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Knots and Crosses was the first one I read, then I went on a mad binge and read them all in the span of a year or so.

Still miss them :cry:

Top Bottom