Please recommend me some tyres ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Swapped over my Schwalbe Marathon for Conti GP 4 Seasons at the weekend. Went on a 90 mile club ride and got my first club puncture! Two very sharp thorns straight through.

They're much faster and lighter than the Schwalbe obviously, but it doesn't seem the puncture protection is as good. Nothing got through those Schwalbe.

So 1600 miles on the Schwalbe Marathon. 1 pinch puncture going over a MASSIVELY sunken grid.
130 miles on the GP 4 Seasons. 1 puncture, but 2 thorns. Obviously it's impossible to tell until I've done similar miles on the Contis, but if you're after puncture protection and not too bothered about a little extra weight then look at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

There is no way of knowing if the Marathon Plus's would have survived the thorns either, from the threads on various forums I have read thorns seem to be Marathon Plus's main, probably only, road debris puncture weakness.
I had Marathon Plus's before the 4 Seasons, they did not feel good in the wet which was more of a concern for me than puncture resistance. But after 2000 miles I think they have been an excellent replacement.

Conti GP4000S, excellent grip in the wet and very puncture resistant.

My brother doesn't think so but his winter tyres are marathon plus, myself I think they have a good record in the 2200miles I've had them on my summer bike, they've suffered front 1 p'ture and that was when some idiot put tacks on the etape caledonia route (others got 5+ that day :-( ).

lejogger

Guru
Erm, a little...

If I put these puppies on my bike, they would add 550g. That's a 6.5% increase in the weight of my bike!!! And on the rims, where it makes the most difference! :ohmy:

No thank you.
To be fair, we're probably talking apples and oranges. If I was looking for tyres for my carbon road bike I certainly wouldn't recommend the Marathon Plus...

If I'm putting tyres on my commuting bike, which is already heavier than the carbon bike, plus the rack, plus the guards, plus the rack bag with tools, extra clothing and tubes, plus the pannier with my suit and shoes in... and I don't particularly want to be stopping for punctures in the icy wet winter... then yes I will recommend the Marathon Plus. 550g when you're carrying all that anyway isn't really an issue.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
I have a cross bike which I use part commuter, part winter hack. Last winter i put on a set of Schwalbe sammy-slicks which were supposed to give good grip and fast rolling, awfull tyres and like riding through tracle even when inflated "over" the recomended Psi. Swapped them earlier this year for a set of Schwalbe Land-Cruiser's - certainly not light but there great tyres, fast rolling, enough tread depth for the trails and excellent in the wet and only £15 each from LBS, certainly recomend them for a good commuter tyre.

On my road bike I used to have conti GP 4 seasons but two sets in a row started to fray on the sidewalls, LBS said ok to ride but it was always in the back of my mind that they would fail so swapped them for a set of Vittiria rubino pro's - great puncture resistance (so far) and feel nice and fast rolling if a little harsh.

Paul

VamP

Banned
To be fair, we're probably talking apples and oranges. If I was looking for tyres for my carbon road bike I certainly wouldn't recommend the Marathon Plus...

If I'm putting tyres on my commuting bike, which is already heavier than the carbon bike, plus the rack, plus the guards, plus the rack bag with tools, extra clothing and tubes, plus the pannier with my suit and shoes in... and I don't particularly want to be stopping for punctures in the icy wet winter... then yes I will recommend the Marathon Plus. 550g when you're carrying all that anyway isn't really an issue.

You're right in that the two are very different. I guess I am coming from the angle of never wanting to ride a heavy bike :biggrin:

Hence I keep all my work clothes at work, and commute on a road bike. Rain or shine.

My GF has Marathon Pluses on her commuter - but Christ that thing is SLOW. And she managed to puncture them last winter :rolleyes:

edited to add: FWIW C+ just published a test of winter tyres and they reckon Michelin Krylion or Schwalbe Durano as the best winter all rounders.

Top Bottom