Plight of the Navigator!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, will post pics tomorrow as it's raining, annoyingly, although the plants need it.
A lot of bike for a tenner, good Taiwanese alloy frame. Good V-brakes.
Removed already to keep any more rust from forming: kickstand; what was left of the chain; the rear mech; half a mudguard; crappy seatpost.
Still to be removed: chainguard; gripshifters (shudder); brake levers; rusty bars.

First part of plan.
During the first week of Lockdown 1, I was knocked off my last Trek, slightly buckling a brand new wheel. I've fished this out of storage and will get it set up on the bike, then take it for trueing.
Fit short straight bars. Fit Alivio RD. Fit ST-EF65-9 shifter/brake lever set. Recable brakes and gears as needed. Remove knobblies and fit 50mm City Jet tanwalls. Once the wheel is done, test ride.

Second part of plan
Replace nutted front wheel with QR style to match rear. Replace suspension fork with rigid.

The frame itself is in very good cosmetic condition. A T-cut and wax will see it sparkle.

Usable parts left over: gripshifters (3×7 SRAM), Promax V-brake levers.

Oddity? Brake cables as usual, gear cables internally routed.

I'll be busy tomorrow!

Forgot-to-mentions:
BB is silky smooth and silent. One less thing to worry about...
There's lots of height to play with on the adjustable quill stem.
It was fitted with an old-style seat pin and clamp, only just inside the limit. Replaced already with a modern post from the spares bin.
New front wheel already on order via bankruptbikeparts ebay shop.

Damn, still raining, but got a few pics.

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

Dsc00004.jpg

Title edited for accuracy!

Wheel collected, along with a new front brake noodle, and all fitted. Rechecked gears on the stand, all good. Gave it bit of a polish, but couldn't find any T-cut, so will go over thoroughly once I have some, and do the Scott while I'm at it.
Only thing left to change is the fork.
Just need to ride it now.
Too tired tiday, after getting home from house-sit at midnight...

First proper test ride.
Quite a bit of fiddling needed to get rear indexing somewhere close, despite being ok on the stand.
Rear brake not very effective, investigate.
Slipping seat post.
Will remove the ass-saver mudguards, more trouble than they are worth.
Fork! Gadzooks, it's appalling.
Quite comfy at the correct seat height.

Top Bottom