Plug for Garmin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfox

Worth commenting on good service when you receive it so..

Returned my 4 year old GPSMap 60CS to Garmin for repair last week, after an unfortunate pothole incident separated it from my handlebars at about 35mph whereupon the thing bounced off the kerb into many parts.

After much deliberation about chucking good money after bad I decided to return it for repair and, £72 and 4 days later, I have a brand new unit as a replacement!

Not the first time I have had excellent service from them either. :tongue:

toontra

Veteran
Their freephone tech support line is first class also!

OP
OP
redfox

redfox

Bigtallfatbloke said:
what is th ebest garmin then?

Well the Edge 705 seems cover just about everything for training and long day rides, but I am not sure about using it for touring.

Personally, I would go for the GPSMap 60CSX for touring. Removable batteries and a 10,000 point track log might be of more use.

Bigtallfatbloke

I took a quick look at the GPSmap 60csx

it seemed to be more geared towards the american user...the base map is of america i think? Can a european map be used? I should perhaps go and read up on it in more depth ...

Also why are there games on it , the battery life is paramount on tour and I would be unlikely to use it up playing starwars.

OP
OP
redfox

redfox

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I took a quick look at the GPSmap 60csx

it seemed to be more geared towards the american user...the base map is of america i think? Can a european map be used? I should perhaps go and read up on it in more depth ...

Also why are there games on it , the battery life is paramount on tour and I would be unlikely to use it up playing starwars.

The ones over hear have a European Basemap, but is a moot point as base maps are useless, some form of mapping product will need to be added. I have a bit more info that may be of use on my web site.

The games are a bit pants, but the kids like them, they are gps based and involve a bit of running around. No Star Wars, but there is Geckoids, in which you spin yourself dizzy trying to avoid/shoot asteroids.

Bigtallfatbloke

Your website is excellent!

...so if I bought such a gizmo and took it to Germany, France etc what extra 'bits' would I need to buy before I went to ensure that i was able to navigate in those countries? (especially through the town centres)

OP
OP
redfox

redfox

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Your website is excellent!

Thanks! :rolleyes:

Bigtallfatbloke said:
...so if I bought such a gizmo and took it to Germany, France etc what extra 'bits' would I need to buy before I went to ensure that i was able to navigate in those countries? (especially through the town centres)

Something like City Navigator Europe or MetroGuide Europe, similar level of detail, but Navigator's map tiles contain routing information (allows a 60CSx to work like a Sat-Nav if you get stuck).

Both give you street level mapping for a large part of Europe and all of Germany and France, though Navigator is more thorough. The links above also detail the map coverage.

If you look around it is sometimes possible to MetroGuide or Navigator bundled with the GPS when you buy it. (at least it was when I bought mine)

Bigtallfatbloke

OP
OP
redfox

redfox

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Thanks...
...so just so I understand correctly if I got these:

GPS:
http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/garmin-gpsmap-60csx-handheld-sat-nav-gps/10066/
Europe city navigator
http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavEuro.jsp

Then I would have all I need to navigate hands free across Europe and the UK on a bike including through big cities and not need a map? 20 hours battery life seems good to me as they are 2xAA and readily available in corner shops etc.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the traditionalists, yes!

However, if you want to enjoy the ride, you need to spend time planning your route, so you can upload it rather than letting the GPS work out what it thinks is the best route. You can use a 60CSx as a Sat-Nav, but I wouldn't recommend it on a bike.

I have never found my old 60CS wanting for a signal anywhere in Europe (and the 60CSx has as much higher sensitivity), but I still carry a large scale map 'just in case'.

BTW: you wont get anywhere near 20 hours out of a pair of corner shop alkaline AAs on a 60CSx, more like 5 or 6 hours; okay in an emergency but rechargeables are the way to go. I find that a pair of NiMH AAs (2100mAh or more) will run for 15 to 20 hours between charges, so I carry a couple of pairs on tour and rotate them.

Bigtallfatbloke

you wont get anywhere near 20 hours out of a pair of corner shop alkaline AAs on a 60CSx, more like 5 or 6 hours

...thanks...that is worth knowing ...the sales blurb claims 20 hours...clearly not the case...

OP
OP
redfox

redfox

Bigtallfatbloke said:
...thanks...that is worth knowing ...the sales blurb claims 20 hours...clearly not the case...

Took me a while (and a fair bit of money) to come to the same conclusion! :smile:

A pack of of rechargeable AAs on-line cost roughly the same as their alkaline equivalents in a corner shop anyway, so you are saving money the second time you use them.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:

I don't think Garmin say what sort of batteries they are using to get the 20 hours, but you can bet it's whatever gives the best life.
If you end up having to buy disposables, get lithium AAs if you can. They should give near the full 20 hours.

If you are thinking of a 60CSx, you should also look at the Etrex Vista HCx. This has much the same functionality. but is cheaper and more compact. You should allow for the cost of a 1 or 2GB micro-SD card to hold all the maps and your track logs - a whole £9 for 2GB it would seem. There used to be problem with the 60CSx frying fast cards, so a cheap and basic one is probably best.

A GPS is fine for navigating along a route by, but you need a map if you want to plan places to go. When I go places, I plan by map, and enter just enough waypoints on the GPS that the shortest distance between waypoints is where I've planned to go. I then put the GPS in satnav mode and let it direct me.

Bigtallfatbloke

If you are thinking of a 60CSx, you should also look at the Etrex Vista HCx.

I asked the bloke in the Field and trek shop about this one as it was cheaper and seemed to do much the same, he told me that it's signal reception was not as good as the GPS60CSx because it doesnt have the small antenna bit on the top...any thoughts on this comment or was he just pushing a more expensive unit?

Top Bottom