Plumbing sizes, i'm confused

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i need a 25mm fibre washer for my shower. 25mm is the outside diameter
everything to do with plumbing seems to be in Inches.
now to me 25mm is equal to 1"

why is this chart telling me 1" is 30mm? (seller on ebay)

is plumbing measured by the INSIDE diameter?
in that case i'm going to need the 3/4" washer, bit confuddled :wacko:
also what is CTC

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Its 25mm, not 30.

As above about imperial measurements being internal diameter of pipes. For a shower union a bath tap fibre washer is usually needed (nom. 3/4") and that will measure a gnat's nudge under 25mm when new and dry, so will be around 25mm when splayed, and wet.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
hey folks, follow up to this. now i know the size i need can someone tell me what washer type i need.
i bought these from screwfix ( https://www.screwfix.com/p/arctic-products-flexible-tap-connector-washers-10-pack/5547j ) but they have a hard surface. when installed it just leaks.
it's like the intact washer is a softer type that has expanded and filled the gap?
i have this mixer unit. it's the washer that sits at the cold inlet on the wall
https://www.idealstandard.co.uk/products/catalog/showering/mixer-packs/a4741

Fibre washers are meant to swell and seal, but only the bit nearest the water actually swells the rest stays pretty much dry under compression from the joint, the joint isn't twisted/distorted is it?

OP
OP
NorthernSky
Fibre washers are meant to swell and seal, but only the bit nearest the water actually swells the rest stays pretty much dry under compression from the joint, the joint isn't twisted/distorted is it?
thanks, yes i thought that what's meant to happen with them
the joint looks fine, i think it could more be the surface of those fibre washers i bought, they have like a shiny/hard surface before it gets to the fibre
was thinking i could sand that away and try it. failing that i may look some of the red fibre washers (similar to the one that's intact)
i take it fibre washers are widely common with plumbing?
what about rubber washers, where would they be used more

keithmac

Guru
Washing machine fittings contain the washer. A rubber washer will spread out sideways when squashed so not suitable for all applications.

Same as O rings.

Have you got a picture of the fitting?.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
yes will grab a pic when i can
ironically it's not leaking as bad just at the moment, since i've had it off and put it back on last time
will be worth having a spare though

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
yes will grab a pic when i can
ironically it's not leaking as bad just at the moment, since i've had it off and put it back on last time
will be worth having a spare though

A couple of bodges/temporary/permanent fixes.

You could wrap a length of cotton fibre string around the fixing, or even cut a short length from a traditional dishcloth if you have none to hand.

Or you could create your own 'fibre' washer from a cereal packet.

Best to use a bit which isn't printed on either side, or use two pieces sandwiched, with the unprinted sides facing outwards.

Best of all, obtain the correct part, but this is the internet, the home of making things needlessly complicated.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
finally got a picture of this.
intact washer from the hot side. it is quite thick but i think this is because it's expanded over time? doesn't seem to be made of rubber
if a rubber replacement worked i'd try that though

removed the mushed one

still struggling to get a replacement :wacko:

Top Bottom