Plus One shoe size for winter cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
posted elsewhere, but I just got a pair of Planet X Das boot (of ebay). I went up a size based on advice PX came up slightly small so a 45 whereas my Quoc Pham's and Pearl Izumi's are 44.

Super toasty and so much better than overshoes. It was only the price putting me off before, but there were a bargain.
thanks for this - yes it had occured to me lately that those are a possibility - i gather they aren't too different from the shimano things. Am normally a size 43 in shimano so I guess would be a 43 or 44 in those. Have wide feet, Will look out for for sure for next winter - none new from planet X at the mo - thanks.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just checked my NW boots (highly recommended). They are a size bigger than my summer cycling shoes.

I don't remember if I made a conscious decision to get bigger ones. My summer shoes (Bontrager all sport) I tried on in the shop. My NW boots I got delivered.

thanks for this - yes it had occured to me lately that those are a possibility - i gather they aren't too different from the shimano things. Am normally a size 43 in shimano so I guess would be a 43 or 44 in those. Have wide feet, Will look out for for sure for next winter - none new from planet X at the mo - thanks.
Go up a size as they have an inner lining for warmth which does make it a slightly smaller fit.

If you're getting winter shoes then just go the whole hog and get the boots.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Overshoes last about 5 minutes and are ludicrously overpriced, so it was Planet X Das Boots for me too You still need to buy a generous size boot to accommodate thicker winter socks. I'd probably paid for 2 or 3 pairs of more expensive boots if I added up the cost of overshoes I'd bought over the years, and no more faff pulling them over shoes and cleats.

simongt

Guru
Bought a pair of Shimano wnter boots a few years back. Was advised to get the next size up to allow for thicker socks, so bought a 44 instead of a 42 and haven't had any fit issues at all since then. :okay:

There is now no doubt in my mind that winter boots pay for themselves (eventually!). Partly because you aren't constrained to wearing them when it's bloody freezing - I wear mine for any commute that is damp/mucky (unless it's also *very* warm).

I can see a place for the massive shoes tactic - if you could obtain some dirt cheap. Would also give you a spare pair for when one set gets a PROPER soaking. (Remember folks, flooding is getting more common year-by-year ...:whistle: )

ade towell

I've got the Planet x das Boot and they are indeed great winter boots and yes you need to size up, Planet x don't sell them anymore but apparently these are the same
https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/c...-cycling-shoes/flr-defender-mtb-shoes-560881/

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I've got the Planet x das Boot and they are indeed great winter boots and yes you need to size up, Planet x don't sell them anymore
maybe just flogged off with the end of winter?
Back later in the year?
By the by, what do folk recommend looking for in a winter boot?
A prime thing I assume is no normal "tongue" construction but a wrapover arrangement instead?

Must admit not too keen on the idea of fluffy thermal stuff inside - sounds like the sort of thing that will just get grotty and be near impossible to then clean. Prefer to have warm stuff on my feet I think - washed after every ride.

ade towell

Planet x haven't been selling them for quite a while now, lots of folks couldn't get them at the start of winter so wouldn't bet on them coming back but who knows...
The thermal internal stuff seems in decent condition after 2 winters and means I just wear normal socks with them, nice and toasty and dry. The wrapover tongue hasn't let any water in so far

si_c

Guru
Merino wool socks, don't need to be thick, regular shoes and overshoes, I find a hard shell better than neoprene for keeping feet warm as it reduces wind chill.

If very cold I do have winter shoes that I use as well, I find layering works for me better than winter boots. If very cold or I'm out for a longer ride I use chemical warming packs.

Overall though keeping my legs warm is the most important thing, if the blood is warm when it reaches my feet then my feet tend to be warm.

Top Bottom