Plus One shoe size for winter cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes I know winter is almost over, but I tend to have a policy of buying out of season if possible/I can wait.

I am generally shoe size 43 I think but wondered if for cold deep winter cycling it might be an idea to have a pair of size 45s and use thicker/thick thick socks/layers, particularly as so many cycling shoes are vented.

Anyone tried this?

Does it work or is the full one-size up sizing too much to bridge?

Do your feet slosh around in the shoes?

Any blister/rubbing problems?

i stress that I'm not a racing cyclist and any concerns about "power transfer" or whatever will be of little concern to me.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Just wear hiking boots? They work fine all year round for me.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I think going two sizes up from 43 to 45 would be too much.
One size up for me is fine for two pairs of socks (one thick wool and one ordinary pair).
Thicker neoprene type shoe covers also work well, no real need to size up if you go down that route.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Just get winter boots - you'll wonder why you've never had them before. Bloming fabulous they are.
doesn't seem to be wotth it - proper winter not that long - even in the frozen north - that said, feel free to recommend some (tho would prefer shoes to boots)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
doesn't seem to be wotth it - proper winter not that long - even in the frozen north - that said, feel free to recommend some (tho would prefer shoes to boots)
I use my MTB winterboots for far longer than just winter - any time rain is about, or trails still wet. Shimano MW7.

Road bike, then I just use my PU overshoes to keep feet warm.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I use my MTB winterboots for far longer than just winter - any time rain is about, or trails still wet. Shimano MW7.

Road bike, then I just use my PU overshoes to keep feet warm.
ta for reply - but a quick look for those MWs seemed to turn up an RRP of £200.
I had ny eyes on some PlanetX things costing about a tenth of that (tho since I faffed they seem to have all been sold)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
do you use normal sizing?
posted elsewhere, but I just got a pair of Planet X Das boot (of ebay). I went up a size based on advice PX came up slightly small so a 45 whereas my Quoc Pham's and Pearl Izumi's are 44.

Super toasty and so much better than overshoes. It was only the price putting me off before, but there were a bargain.

Top Bottom