Poetry Corner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Brock said:
You should google better, I had my doubts and found this.

'Nothing lasts forever, even love’s a lie,
a tool for manipulation,
and there's no God within my sight...'

Extract from 'Godless' by Blake R. Pirtle, a death row inmate at Washington State Penitentiary.

Plagiary I cry!

I'm thoroughly disappointed at the response to your thread Abitrary, I thought cycling folk would show an inherent artistic flair and flood you with creativity in moving prose and witty verse, but I'm still waiting.

Crikey... cheers Brock

I know, I know. I find cycling forum people generally quite wise and worldly, and very broad minded. However, I think they can be a bit cautious about this sort of thing

When conversely, if you go on a music forum, you meet a load of uptight, politically correct, although essentially decent people, but half the people on cycle chat would have been banned by now, from an average one.

However, ask them for poetry or lyrics, and you get the entire 175,000 strong goth sub culture posting mega-reams of stuff about blackened hearts, and it knocks the server over

SamNichols

Brock said:
hurrah for haiku! I like it Sam, did you win?

Who knows whether I won: we'd left by that time, but one of the attractive blonde barmaids (the bar has a very obvious hiring policy - if you're blonde, a little bit indie, and hot then you're in), chatted to me for a while and then gave me a free drink, as documented in another thread. So even if I didn't win, I now at least have my eye on the barmaid. And got a drink out of it.

Alcdrew

Brock said:
You should google better, I had my doubts and found this.

'Nothing lasts forever, even love’s a lie,
a tool for manipulation,
and there's no God within my sight...'

Extract from 'Godless' by Blake R. Pirtle, a death row inmate at Washington State Penitentiary.

Plagiary I cry!

I'm thoroughly disappointed at the response to your thread Abitrary, I thought cycling folk would show an inherent artistic flair and flood you with creativity in moving prose and witty verse, but I'm still waiting.

O well, nearly got you all. Although I did change a word... So it's a little bit mine.

I have writen poetryesq stuff back in the good old days of my youth. I have a few books full of it some where. But in the middle of moving at the moment so not sure where they are. But if I find them I'll put some original stuff for you all to rip to shreds.

Brock

Dayvo said:
Autumn melancholy by Dayvo :biggrin:

A leaf falls silently
to the ground.
T'was once was full of life and colour,
now 'tis just withered, faded.

I too wonder
when I will fall.

Dayvo.. you suck.
But I have previously belched a photo of equal lameness that fits with your poem:
CIMG3970b.sized.jpg

Shall we compile a Christmas annual of needy verse and cliché illustration?

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Cheers for moderating this thread brock

Also, I've put up a parellel lyrics thread where the plagiarists can post song lyrics

SamNichols

I am, alas, a fan of beat poetry. I like the insanity of it all: anyway, here is a poem called: 'Pauly's Days in Cinema' by Pete Simonelli (a modern US Beat poet, who has recently been doing work with the band 'Enablers'):

He's stepping heavily, a humbled sort canting his course in random lines
down Mission Street: a grave heat on.
It's the photographs again, their captured time fingered once too often
and now spun to pique, never settling in the same dungeon
twice -- and never mind what's taking hits in the abstruse deeps
of his belly.

Baja drifts peevishly in him now, its memory jabbing at his nerve
like a wayward crank inclined to correct strangers.
Pity him.
He craves the vacuous shoulder, a female he can treat like a stooge
and pitch his tales of woes to. Pity him,
and you'll have a helluva load on your hands. A helluva load.

In the last week alone he's seen a rage collect hard in the pith of him,
lift a hundred pound desk over his scrawny, rummy-wan frame
and swing down, smashing the ****er to kindling
right in the middle of the street,
the neighbours stopping their varied business
to gape at what might come next.

Meanwhile, Hope's on the line from Seattle.
She worried, she says, her voice itching with years of untenable kinship.
My brother, she says, fashions himself on some kind of Tarantino cowboy!
she says.
Yeah, well, Pauly hates the phone.
Ask anybody.

Countless blinks later, he says he wasn't quite sure.
Something just broke and washed over him,
as though the body had suddenly addressed its own uncanny agenda.
So weighted -- and lately a man who falters on his heels and disassembles
altogether quite a bit -- Pauly picks himself up on one hand and one knee,
one foot at a time,

stripped of the controlled badass who waves away phantom help
under the hazy line of streetlamps burning coal-like and suspended
through the boulevard.
That's quite a frame when he takes that critical left turn into the bar,
where solace of the peopled din is soon lost
once the quick glimpse of Her
strikes.

Brock

Sorry Abit, I didn't mean to jump in and throw my low brow high cholesterol weight around on your thread.. I just wanted to see some nice poems, and then when they didn't come I got drunk and abusive..hic.
Alcdrew you suck too! I saw your other attempt to hide your creative thievery on that PSP forum by misspelling words in the verse. 'Manipultion'.. I don't know what the world's coming to. Honestly.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Brock said:
Sorry Abit, I didn't mean to jump in and throw my low brow high cholesterol weight around on your thread.. .

No, quite the opposite Brock. If people don't take an active and voluntary interest in culture then it will die out.

You've done some excellent work preserving the integrity here

Brock said:
Sorry Abit, I didn't mean to jump in and throw my low brow high cholesterol weight around on your thread.. I just wanted to see some nice poems, and then when they didn't come I got drunk and abusive..hic.
Alcdrew you suck too! I saw your other attempt to hide your creative thievery on that PSP forum by misspelling words in the verse. 'Manipultion'.. I don't know what the world's coming to. Honestly.

Oi Brock! Wasn't mine nice enough for you? :biggrin:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Brock said:
No! It was a honking wad of day old dung.

Hey Brock, looks like we've had a couple of others in since.

Can you do the honours and pass judgement, sorting out the chaff from the wheat?

I need to tear up and down the forum for a bit, skillfully avoiding Racing, and Fitness

Brock

Have we? I'm still undecided about Sam's beat poem thing. I sort of want to like it, but some of the imagery seems rather forced.. Being unoriginal it doesn't count anyway.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Brock said:
Have we? I'm still undecided about Sam's beat poem thing. I sort of want to like it, but some of the imagery seems rather forced.. Being unoriginal it doesn't count anyway.

TBH, I smelt a rat as well, and just wanted your opinion. He reckons he got chatted up by a barmaid for his poetry as well. He seems quite smooth and clever though.

Ok, he's taking the wee out of us

Sort it Brock

SamNichols

The narrative structure of Simonelli's poetry appeals to me, as it is easy to follow what is being gotten at, and you don't need to view it through the lenses of someone trying to find rhythm, cadence and verse through it. It's very stylized, perhaps over-influenced by beat poetry, which is quite out of fashion (in all worlds except mine); but, it's poetry from the streets/the gutter, where I like my poetry to be from. Ok, here's a bit more Beat Poetry, this time from the incomparable, but eminently depressing Charles Bukowski (this one is surprisingly upbeat, considering):

A Radio With Guts

it was on the 2nd floor on Coronado Street
I used to get drunk
and throw the radio through the window
while it was playing, and, of course,
it would break the glass in the window
and the radio would sit there on the roof
still playing
and I'd tell my woman,
"Ah, what a marvelous radio!"
the next morning I'd take the window
off the hinges
and carry it down the street
to the glass man
who would put in another pane.
I kept throwing that radio through the window
each time I got drunk
and it would sit there on the roof
still playing-
a magic radio
a radio with guts,
and each morning I'd take the window
back to the glass man.
I don't remember how it ended exactly
though I do remember
we finally moved out.
there was a woman downstairs who worked in
the garden in her bathing suit,
she really dug with that trowel
and she put her behind up in the air
and I used to sit in the window
and watch the sun shine all over that thing
while the music played.

I'll stop posting Beat stuff now, as i'm probably the only one that likes it. I might post a bit of D. H. Lawrence or something, for all of you lovers of more classical forms of poetry. I can't find the one that I wrote, which I liked - I have far more short stories on this computer.

Top Bottom