1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poetry in Motion

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Crock of Gold, 12 Jun 2008.

1. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Poetry's not dead. Only that stuck in dry libraries and / or written by the Poet Laureate.

"It's Summer in Siam,
    And the Moon is full of rainbows."

Guess who? (No googling). Easy enough.

2. Maz

Maz Guru

Was it a WWII Russian spy greeting?

Nikolai: It's Summer in Siam.
    Yuri: And the Moon is full of rainbows.

3. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Pogues

4. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

It doesn't rhyme!

Pol Pot?

5. Trembler49

Trembler49 Veteran

Sounds like Tom Waits

6. OP
    OP
    Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Fnnar is right; Maz was inventive and Trembler49 in the right, erm, field. rich p was just plain left field.

I just posted this Thread as there was an article I just read about the Poet Laureate and about how it's a waste of space. I agree. Make something part of the establishment and it loses it's relevance.

7. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

Whenever I walk I am poetry in motion. When I sit down, I am not poetry in motion.

8. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

When I sit down, sometimes my bowels are in motion! And it's seldom 'slow'! :sad:

9. andyfromotley

andyfromotley New Member

poetry is most certainly not dead. If you can only find in dry librarys thats a shame.
    Simon Armitage is a poet who is funny worldly and thoughtful. Theres a poem of his 'killing time' a part of which deals with the columbine high scool shootings. I think it may be the best thing written in this country in the last 25 years poetry or otherwise.

Cope has done some terrific stuff, (Wendy not Julian)

and yes you're right there are some fantastically poetic lyrics, Difford and tillbrook possibly the best english songwriters for years, some of the artic monkeys stuff shows promise and i think there is a distinct possibility that school children 200 years from now will be studying MM's lyrics.

So no poetry isnt dead, its just like people who cycle in the gutter, we dont always notice. can anybodys life be made worse by having poetry in it?

andy

10. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

With that thread title I though it would be a clip of Vicky riding her bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Poetry is dull.

And for people too lazy to write proper stories :sad:

12. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

I write both poetry and stories, I'll have you know. But the poetry is far more successful.

13. Noodley

Noodley Guest

That's because people are too lazy to read your proper stories :sad: