Pointing a small chimney costs.£

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Re-pointing usually costs £30 to £50 per square metre. The chimney is about 1.25 square metres. Yes, there are the flashings and the TV lashings to faff about with, but it's not a big job given that it's on a bungalow and at no great height off the ground. £75 seems on the low side but it isn't daft. I'd take that quote.

PK99

Legendary Member
Personally, with a range of quotes, I normally eliminate the top (often they are busy and don't need the work) and the bottom as are likely to be under pricing and will take short cuts when they realise. Of the middle quotes I make a judgement call on the guy.

But actually, on that scale of job, I'd take soundings as to the best local guy who works on reputation and recommendation and work with him as preferred contractor with no other quotes.

I did that last year on a roof leak that has been a 20 year problem on our loft conversion. 3 guys had failed to solve. The Best Rep local guy, diagnosed problem, took me up and showed me and gave a fully itemised quote with itemised "if on reveal" caveats. Ie a price range, with a "minimum and not more than".

Price was ultimately at low end if range, and for the first time in 20 years roof was fully weather tight over last winter.

£75?
How much an hour is he valuing his time? Quoting time. Travelling. Job time. Admin time. Tool. Materials. Insurance.

When I gave up (hobby) jobbing gardening 8/10 years ago I was charging £22 per hour.

Cerdic

Personally, with a range of quotes, I normally eliminate the top (often they are busy and don't need the work) and the bottom as are likely to be under pricing and will take short cuts when they realise. Of the middle quotes I make a judgement call on the guy.

But actually, on that scale of job, I'd take soundings as to the best local guy who works on reputation and recommendation and work with him as preferred contractor with no other quotes.

I did that last year on a roof leak that has been a 20 year problem on our loft conversion. 3 guys had failed to solve. The Best Rep local guy, diagnosed problem, took me up and showed me and gave a fully itemised quote with itemised "if on reveal" caveats. Ie a price range, with a "minimum and not more than".

Price was ultimately at low end if range, and for the first time in 20 years roof was fully weather tight over last winter.

£75?
How much an hour is he valuing his time? Quoting time. Travelling. Job time. Admin time. Tool. Materials. Insurance.

When I gave up (hobby) jobbing gardening 8/10 years ago I was charging £22 per hour.

How do you go about “taking soundings” for the best local guy? I don’t think I, for example, know anyone who has had their chimney re-pointed…

presta

Guru
Right here goes, £420, £300, £300, £200 and £75.00. The one at £75.00 said the flashing would be sealed with leadmate as well as it ground out and repointed. The guy said I would have to wait a a couple of weeks until a slot of a couple of hours became spare. So I'm going for this the cheapest one.
Sounds like a bargain.

When I had my garden wall rebuilt 20 years ago after a neighbour's car demolished it, the cheapest of three quotes was £950. That's £50 for materials (at B&Q prices), and £900 for 3 hours labour.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
£75 you say. Didn't have a old white Transit and a lilting southern Irish accent did he?

Casual racism. How very droll.

Cerdic

I mean the reputation of local firms among people I know and other tradesmen.

Well exactly. But it does bring me back to my original point; if you aren’t ‘plugged in‘ to the local network it’s difficult to accurately assess who is reliable and who isn’t…

Top Bottom