Pointless changes to bits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or "continuous improvement" as the marketing wonks would have it.

Two of mine, both from Topeak whose bits I generally rate.

1: Seat clip for the seatpack - previously had two decent sized bolts and solid as a rock. Then changed to a single small bolt - I think I ranted to @RoubaixCube about this on a ride once - he maybe thought me bonkers but sure enough a while later that single bolt fell out. I now scour ebay/consider murdering fellow cyclists for their aged but functional bits.

Then a few days ago I discovered another while building up a tourer.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-mod...ItQZjDqcIwawYUKbtBwaAm_eEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I had bought two more of these things a while ago for future builds as I have a nice big steel water bottle which fits neatly into the cage on an older self-build. I need lots of water on tours.

They have only bleedin changed it so that the jaw opens a few mm less!

Why why o farking why?

Any others?

Or "continuous improvement" as the marketing wonks would have it.

Two of mine, both from Topeak whose bits I generally rate.

1: Seat clip for the seatpack - previously had two decent sized bolts and solid as a rock. Then changed to a single small bolt - I think I ranted to @RoubaixCube about this on a ride once - he maybe thought me bonkers but sure enough a while later that single bolt fell out. I now scour ebay/consider murdering fellow cyclists for their aged but functional bits.

Then a few days ago I discovered another while building up a tourer.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-mod...ItQZjDqcIwawYUKbtBwaAm_eEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I had bought two more of these things a while ago for future builds as I have a nice big steel water bottle which fits neatly into the cage on an older self-build. I need lots of water on tours.

They have only bleedin changed it so that the jaw opens a few mm less!

Why why o farking why?

Any others?
We use very basic computers on our fleet.
Mary lost her head unit so we got a replacement which looked identical so I thought that it would fit in the existing mount and I would not have to instal the new fork sensor, loom and mount. No, although it slid into the old mount it was a poofteenth diferent in length and did not line up with the contacts in the old head unit.
I did not have to replace the magnet on the spokes!

Mike

Tribansman

Veteran
Totally agree, it's infuriating. The most annoying for me is shoes (cycle specific and others) - the constant need to bring out new versions that never seem to fit as well, and a comfy fit can take a while to find and is so crucial. Exploit advances in technology by all means, but why not maintain the original dimensions and proportions?

I once bought x3 additional pairs of trainers that were super comfortable as I knew that by the time the originals had worn out, they'd have been discontinued

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I once bought x3 additional pairs of trainers that were super comfortable as I knew that by the time the originals had worn out, they'd have been discontinued
Reminded me.
I plead guilty to having 3 etrex20s - 2 bought secondhand at good prices. The maps of course get updated.
Suppose at least we can be thankful for ebay - I use it for old near mint bits on builds - often better than the new stuff.
By the by, on the bottle cage upthread, the wider opening one also has an allen key socket on the adjusting nob - a good feature in itself now gone.
The new version is the Modula II but I don't think Topeak has ever said what the new improved features of the 2 are, what was wrong with number 1.

Top Bottom