Pointless & impractical vehicles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Didn't they use that photograph in subsequent advertising, to demonstrate the strength of the bodyshell?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Didn't they use that photograph in subsequent advertising, to demonstrate the strength of the bodyshell?

They actually kept the car and used to take it to shows to demonstrate that the occupants would have been fine, bit pointless really as the transporter would have just turned right to get to that bridge so would not have been travelling at more than 20mph. It would have been chained to the transporter though hence the force would have been pretty continuous.
For anyone interested the bridge is on Lancaster rd in Leicester and the buildings in the background are the fire station* and a small housing estate built around it for firemen to live in.

*Leicester city's main fire station and headquarters.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
They actually kept the car and used to take it to shows to demonstrate that the occupants would have been fine, bit pointless really as the transporter would have just turned right to get to that bridge so would not have been travelling at more than 20mph. It would have been chained to the transporter though hence the force would have been pretty continuous.
For anyone interested the bridge is on Lancaster rd in Leicester and the buildings in the background are the fire station* and a small housing estate built around it for firemen to live in.

*Leicester city's main fire station and headquarters.

Know that bridge well. The garage that my Dad owned and ran is just around the corner. That bridge has had a succession of systems used to warn drivers if their vehicle is too large. There was an automatic system many years ago that would flash up a warning if your vehicle was too big. Or it was snowing. Now it is just a lot of bright paint, stripes and signs, I think.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Know that bridge well. The garage that my Dad owned and ran is just around the corner. That bridge has had a succession of systems used to warn drivers if their vehicle is too large. There was an automatic system many years ago that would flash up a warning if your vehicle was too big. Or it was snowing. Now it is just a lot of bright paint, stripes and signs, I think.

That would have been @1975 going by the back of the car (certainly after 73 as it has rubber bumpers, they were steel earlier) before my time at the garage but they had that picture or one very similar framed at the garage which was Status Garages on Nelson St. just off London rd (behind a pub called 'The Hind'

classic33

Leg End Member
c55d5b62a0ccb60164cc8d384bf77299.jpg

presta

Guru
1697652255673.png

Top Bottom