Pointlessly Gendered Product - Christmas Competition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I used to be one of the unseen goons working in Argos's arse end... it'll be Xmas Eve 2001, so everythign we sold was a last minute prezzy for someone... my heart went out to the poor lady who'd no doubt be unwrapping the cheap deep fat fryer, the cheap foot spa and a cheap facial sauna the following morning... then as I watched the buyer proudly collect his offerings on the monitor, I began to fear for his life.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I used to be one of the unseen goons working in Argos's arse end... it'll be Xmas Eve 2001, so everythign we sold was a last minute prezzy for someone... my heart went out to the poor lady who'd no doubt be unwrapping the cheap deep fat fryer, the cheap foot spa and a cheap facial sauna the following morning... then as I watched the buyer proudly collect his offerings on the monitor, I began to fear for his life.
I bet he was winner of A&E's X-ray of the month competition for quite a while...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
What could make a better Christmas present than a pair of walking boots? (well, loads I guess, but hey, it's a link and a lead-in)
In Mountain Warehouse, some boots are labelled as women's, others are not labelled. I choose to interpret that as men being unfairly treated, having less choice from the range of boots :smile:

2014-11-14 10.13.52.jpg
2014-11-14 10.14.05.jpg

Ganymede

Veteran
What could make a better Christmas present than a pair of walking boots? (well, loads I guess, but hey, it's a link and a lead-in)
In Mountain Warehouse, some boots are labelled as women's, others are not labelled. I choose to interpret that as men being unfairly treated, having less choice from the range of boots :smile:

View attachment 61628 View attachment 61629
Two interesting things there - one is that the man's boot is just called a boot, whereas the women's boot is called a "women's boot" - obviously the default is male...
Secondly the man's boot is a lot more expensive. I suppose they are mostly bigger. But what I notice about buying outdoor gear is that women's stuff is usually lower-spec too. I think it's partly because they exploit men by producing ever more ruffty-tuffty and higher-spec stuff and implying that if you're a real man you should upgrade.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Two interesting things there - one is that the man's boot is just called a boot, whereas the women's boot is called a "women's boot" - obviously the default is male...
Secondly the man's boot is a lot more expensive. I suppose they are mostly bigger. But what I notice about buying outdoor gear is that women's stuff is usually lower-spec too. I think it's partly because they exploit men by producing ever more ruffty-tuffty and higher-spec stuff and implying that if you're a real man you should upgrade.
What I noticed, in my scientific survey, was that the "women's boots" were generally smaller*, and had generally pink/powder blue/light green 'auxiliary' colours, whereas the other boots (unisex, presumably) were bigger and had black/brown/dark green as auxiliary colours.
There was a range of prices, to be fair, I just happened to take pics of those two, not the same boot, as it were.

*I thought women were allowed to flaunt their curves these days (acc to Gok Wan). Surely this would give them bigger feet?

Ganymede

Veteran
What I noticed, in my scientific survey, was that the "women's boots" were generally smaller*, and had generally pink/powder blue/light green 'auxiliary' colours, whereas the other boots (unisex, presumably) were bigger and had black/brown/dark green as auxiliary colours.
There was a range of prices, to be fair, I just happened to take pics of those two, not the same boot, as it were.
The pink/powder blue thing is why I haven't bought a new pair of walking boots in years.

I once saw scuba regulators being sold with little pink or baby blue rings of colour on the mouthpiece. The bloke behind the counter saw my aghast face and said: yeah, nobody is buying them because they don't have the resale value. I said women shouldn't have baby pink and baby blue on their sports wear BECAUSE WE'RE NOT BABIES. Cuh.

See what you mean re the prices/not same boots but it is a thing I've noticed in general.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
There can be a point to having women's boots - I think if manufacturers do women's stuff properly, the boots are often narrower. So it isn't (or rather, shouldn't be) just a case of extending the size range of 'mens' boots to smaller sizes.

I hate with passion being offered stuff cut for women that is pink, powder blue etc. :gun:

Ganymede

Veteran
There can be a point to having women's boots - I think if manufacturers do women's stuff properly, the boots are often narrower. So it isn't (or rather, shouldn't be) just a case of extending the size range of 'mens' boots to smaller sizes.

I hate with passion being offered stuff cut for women that is pink, powder blue etc. :gun:
I agree wholeheartedly!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I once got chatting to a fellow hillwalker at a pub and said that I liked her purple/black goretex boots. She said that they were a ladies model but went up to larger sizes, great I thought til I went to a shop that stocked them..............They only went up to an 8..............gutted
(child of the 60s-70s and purple was always my 'fave' colour)

coffeejo

Ælfrēd

This. ^^

Don't mind if it's part of the colour range on offer but when it's the default ... :ninja: My attempt to buy a new pair of trainers of not* going well. I can cheap cheapo white ones that will destroy my feet or well-fitting, well-made ones in xx( colours.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
The pink/powder blue thing is why I haven't bought a new pair of walking boots in years.

I once saw scuba regulators being sold with little pink or baby blue rings of colour on the mouthpiece. The bloke behind the counter saw my aghast face and said: yeah, nobody is buying them because they don't have the resale value. I said women shouldn't have baby pink and baby blue on their sports wear BECAUSE WE'RE NOT BABIES. Cuh.

See what you mean re the prices/not same boots but it is a thing I've noticed in general.

Scuba regulators? This is got to be top of the pile now!

Top Bottom