polar computer set up - wheel size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidg

Hello!

I am really struggling and cant find much on google, so.....

I am setting up the speed sensor on a polar heart rate monitor and it is asking for the wheel size and I have absolutely no idea how to find out or what it wants for that matter....

i have conti grand prix 700x24 on...
so what do I enter?!

thanks

maurice

Explained it in the manual for my cs600.

Best way is to measure your circumference by rolling the wheel along a line on the floor for one wheel rotation. Use the valve as your start/finish indicator. Then input that value into the computer.

There were some wheel size suggestions etc in my manual, but they weren't very accurate.

andyhunter

to work it out use tape to mark on your wheel a starting point and also mark on the ground a starting point lined up to the starting point on the wheel you have marked.
then wheel the bike in a straight line so the marking on the wheel does 1 complete turn back to the starting point.
then make a mark on the ground lined up to the finish of one turn of the wheel from the marking on the wheel.
measure the distance the wheel has traveled from marking start to end in mm and then input this into your polar device ;). this can be used for any bike computers :wacko:.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Yes, a "wheel roll out" is the most accurate way of getting the number. If you want the most accurate reading possible, pump up the tyres to working pressure, get in the saddle, and adopt a riding position. Then do one wheel rotation. (The wheel with the pick-up).You will need a helper to stop you crashing to the deck.

papacojones

A wheel roll out like other posters say, but I always do about ten and take the average. Maybe overkill but you would be surprised at the difference you can get between one rollout and the next-even doing it carefully.

OP
OP
davidg

davidg

cheers. I hadnt realised the need for it to be measure (which of course makes sense!). I just thought there might be a value for particular tyres....

Top Bottom