Pole Vault

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Maggot, 9 Feb 2008.

1. Maggot

Maggot Guest

My son and I were looking through the Guiness Book of Records earlier, he saw a picture of the Russian lady pole-vaulter (:thumbsup:) and asked me how on earth do they do that? A bloody good question, how on earth does someone hang almost up-side down, on an un-supported pole the best part of twenty feet in the air:ohmy: Is this the maddest "mainstream" track and field event? Has anyone ever done it?

2. Pete

Pete Guest

It's even madder when this happens! Or this! :thumbsup:

I suppose it's all down to momentum and dynamics.

3. Cue classic Chic Murray joke.....

Chic is at the Olympic Games and walking towards him is a man carrying a long pole,

"Excuse me, are you a pole vaulter?" asks the bold Chic.

To which the man replies, "No, I'm German and how do you know my name":biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'll get my coat........

4. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

It is one of those sports I can't imagine ever mastering, because I like to learn slowly and build up - so I could attempt high, or long jumping, whereas with pole vaulting, there must come a time when you just have to throw yourself at it and try....

5. simon l& and a half

simon l& and a half New Member

6. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

We had pole vaulting at school - until we had to stop because we only had a sand pit to land in - and you started with short, non bendy poles and worked your way up.

7. OP
    OP
    Maggot

Maggot Guest

8. Pete

Pete Guest

9. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

Is he now singing for the Vatican Choir? :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice