Police announce national strategy to tackle cycle theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As you said, at least it's something rather then nothing.
It won't make the smallest of dent of reduction of thefts or even the sales of stolen bikes.
But it's a start.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So are they doing anything new? I've missed it if so.

Good words from CUK's rep.

The theft hot spots map just looks like a map of where more cycle.

Surprised to see chains the most broken lock, although there's a massive "unknown".

icowden

Veteran
Interesting that they think 14% of stolen bikes are sold through bike shops. Surely those shops should be checking for stolen goods?

Interesting that they think 14% of stolen bikes are sold through bike shops. Surely those shops should be checking for stolen goods?
On a carbon frame the frame number is sticker easily peeled off and replaced there may be some numbers on the forks if its a aluminum steer.
They could slip by undetected and sold on very easily.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The theft hot spots map just looks like a map of where more cycle.

Surprised to see chains the most broken lock, although there's a massive "unknown".

Stands to reason that bike thieves are going to target bike-rich areas where plenty of choice exists and there is likely to be a larger number of carelessly unlocked or poorly secured bikes on offer to take.

Based on the means I see used to secure bikes, I'd say cable locks, very often of weedy quality, are by far the most common method used to secure bikes on-street in shopping areas and outside stations. Chains are probably in third place, behind cables, then D-locks.
The thing is, is the risk of theft mainly governed by the type of lock used, or the value and desirability of the bike? If I'm locking a hack bike on-street for a few minutes while I pop in a shop, I sometimes use a medium strength cable lock. If I'm leaving it for a couple of hours or more (say pub visit) I use the cable lock AND a 5/16" thick chain & padlock. I've not had one stolen yet, but we are talking about £20 secondhand bikes here, so not much criminal profit.

Reactions: mjr
Surprises me somewhat that chains are the most likely to be broken open according to those stats. I was under de impression that cables are much easyer to break,

Top Bottom