Police Cycling on Pavements

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BSA

BSA

Is it a modern urban area BSA ?

I have seen them in several areas of Sheffield, they are definitely not cycle paths.

I have no problem with the police using the footpaths and I thinks its great to see them on bikes, I was just confused as to how it worked with the law.

I am pleased that the police are given the power to use their common sense when it comes to riding on pavements. I for one would hate to see children been forced to ride on the roads.

And how come they can use those blue flashing lights but the rest of us can't? Answer me that! Seems there's one law for them, another for us...

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
As a reassuring presence, it's good. Until you see CPSO written on his back.:biggrin:

Police Community Support Officers. A very contentious issue, even in the job.
How useful they are very much depends on where you live. For example, in West Mids they have the standard powers to give out tickets for minor offences. They really are just bods out on the street making it look as if you have more Police on the beat.
However in Cambridgeshire they have been trained to raise the paper work for minor crimes and take statements for those crimes. This takes a lot of pressure off officers allowing them to deal with the sharp end. Although tehy (PCSO's) cannot make arrests, they can be left to do many other jobs. For instance if we get a shoplifter, I now only have to beconcerned with the arrest and interview process, leaving a PCSO to raise the crime and, take statements and sieze CCTV etc. As a nieghbourhood patrol officer my PCSO's are invaluable.
But that is just Cambridgeshire and I cannot vouch for other forces!

Vikeonabike

The ones that I work with on my patch have a good relationship with the locla kids, better than me in most cases and that may be beacause of thier limited powers. They also tend to have a better relationship with all otther groups as they have time annd stop and talk to people, gain thier trust and pick up the intelligence we need to get results. For some sections of society it may be that they can feel mor comfortable talking to a PCSO rather than a warranted officer. I crtainly couldn't do my job with out them.
However if anyone meets them tell them thier Bloody useless and bone idle, don't want them knowing they're indespensible do we!

gbb

Legendary Member
Vikeonabike said:
Gbb,
I work Westwood and Ravensthorpe, I very rarely get complaints (had one so far), most people seem to be happy just to see us about!

Welcome Vike....:biggrin:
That reminds me of a funny thing i saw the other week...i was parked in my car waiting for someone....just idly watching folk at the Westwood shopping centre one late evening.
Two young lads (16 to 18 maybe) were idling around and chatting with beer cans in their hands.
Two PCSO's or Police came along on their bikes and started chatting with them. One of the officers plucked a beer can off one of the lads and rode to a bin and dumped it in it. :thumbsdown:

Along came another lad to see the first two old boys...can in hand. Officer rode up behind him, plucked the can from his hand...and rode to the bin and dumped it :biggrin::biggrin: The youth didnt even have chance to say anything :cursing:

No-one seemed to get agitated...they just accepted it and carried on chatting with the officers (or so it seemed from my car)

Vikeonabike

gbb said:
Welcome Vike....:evil:
That reminds me of a funny thing i saw the other week...i was parked in my car waiting for someone....just idly watching folk at the Westwood shopping centre one late evening.
Two young lads (16 to 18 maybe) were idling around and chatting with beer cans in their hands.
Two PCSO's or Police came along on their bikes and started chatting with them. One of the officers plucked a beer can off one of the lads and rode to a bin and dumped it in it. :biggrin:

Along came another lad to see the first two old boys...can in hand. Officer rode up behind him, plucked the can from his hand...and rode to the bin and dumped it :cry::biggrin: The youth didnt even have chance to say anything ;)

No-one seemed to get agitated...they just accepted it and carried on chatting with the officers (or so it seemed from my car)

We have a fairly good raport with the local youths. They know our rules, they will try and push the envelope now and again but generally don't get arsey with us.
One of those Officers, didn't happen to have a beard and look remarkably like a Viking did he?

Next time you see me pop over and say hello!

gbb

Legendary Member
Vikeonabike said:
We have a fairly good raport with the local youths. They know our rules, they will try and push the envelope now and again but generally don't get arsey with us.
One of those Officers, didn't happen to have a beard and look remarkably like a Viking did he?

Next time you see me pop over and say hello!

Crikey...was it you ???
Dont often get over that side of town, but be sure if i do see you...i will ;)

Vikeonabike

gbb said:
Crikey...was it you ???
Dont often get over that side of town, but be sure if i do see you...i will ;)

More than likely me an one of my PCSO's...
However I get about a bit so if you see a cop with a beard on a bike in P'Boro' it is going to be me!

Top Bottom