Police Cycling on Pavements

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSA

I live and work in Sheffield and a few times I have noticed police officers on Specialzed bikes riding along side each other on pavements.

Are they allowed to do this? Surely it is illegal to ride on pavements.

If it legal for the police surely it sets a bad example to everyone else.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Unless they are on a designated cycle path it is illegal.

I have less of a problem with them riding on the pavement than I do with them wobbling about in the gutter, riding on the wrong side of the road and shooting out of junctions in front of my lorry. To be fair, this behaviour is by no means restricted to the police, but it is especially galling from them.

Bodhbh

Guru
Noticed a couple of coppers MTBing at speed along the grand union canal the other day. Nice work if you can get it.

I met a couple of firemen on brand new fire service bikes the other day in Southampton. What use is a bicycle to a fireman? They did have water bottle cages on their frames...

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Ah, my favourite subject.
No one is exempt from the law!!!
However I ride mine on pavements and I will justify this. If I am going to an emergency call I will use the most direct route from A-B. If this means pavements then so be it! The patch I patrol is criss crossed by various paths and I can crossit in less than 5 minutes cutting across. However if I use the roads then I will double my time getting to my destination.
If I stick to the roads on normal patrol, I cannot possibly cover my whole patch or get a good look at what is going on. Basically Police Officers riding on footpaths to achieve thier patrol aims is justifiable.
Will I give a ticket to sombody for riding on a pavement, probably not. Will I give them a ticket for riding on the pavement no handed, whilst texting. Oh Yes! (or knock them off for inconsiderate cycling).
And to finish.

On 1st August 1999, new legislation came into force to allow a fixed penalty notice to be served on anyone who is guilty of cycling on a footway. However the Home Office issued guidance on how the new legislation should be applied, indicating that they should only be used where a cyclist is riding in a manner that may endanger others. At the time Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued a letter stating that:

"The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

Almost identical advice has since been issued by the Home Office with regards the use of fixed penalty notices by 'Community Support Officers' and wardens.

"CSOs and accredited persons will be accountable in the same way as police officers. They will be under the direction and control of the chief officer, supervised on a daily basis by the local community beat officer and will be subject to the same police complaints system. The Government have included provision in the Anti Social Behaviour Bill to enable CSOs and accredited persons to stop those cycling irresponsibly on the pavement in order to issue a fixed penalty notice.

I should stress that the issue is about inconsiderate cycling on the pavements. The new provisions are not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other road users when doing so. Chief officers recognise that the fixed penalty needs to be used with a considerable degree of discretion and it cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 16. (Letter to Mr H. Peel from John Crozier of The Home Office, reference T5080/4, 23 February 2004)
:smile:

OP
OP
BSA

BSA

Thanks "Vikeonabike" thats exactly the sort of answer I was looking for. It certainly clears up a lot of rumours about the law.

I'm certainly not against police using the pavements just wondered how it was being viewed from the publics perspective.

Are you a police cyclist?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Hmmm... I suspect when people see Plod on a bike on the pavement it's next to a perfectly good road and not, as you suggest, a cross-way which cuts out travelling time...

I've seen them without lights on the pavement too... one rule for one it seems!

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
BSA said:
Thanks "Vikeonabike" thats exactly the sort of answer I was looking for. It certainly clears up a lot of rumours about the law.
BSA said:
I'm certainly not against police using the pavements just wondered how it was being viewed from the publics perspective.

I am, indeed. I spend 80% of my time on patrol on my bike!

Sh4rkyBloke;464010]Hmmm... I suspect when people see Plod on a bike on the pavement it said:
Sh4rkyBloke' said:
I've seen them without lights on the pavement too... one rule for one it seems!
Sh4rkyBloke, you may well be right. I admit i will use the pavement next to a perfectly suitable road for a number of different reasons. It may be that I am slowly pedalling through an area looking for someone or something. I may just be being nosey and checking out the gardens in a local neighbourhood for something that looks out of place. A variety of resons for me to be there doing my job. I also admit to riding on the pavements without my lights on for operational reasons....bu**ered if I am going to ride on the road with no lights on dressed in black.
So if it is a case of "one rule for one" then there is a fairly good reason for it!

gbb

Legendary Member
BSA said:

Is it a modern urban area BSA ?
I ask because many areas in Peterborough are 'new town' type estates, interlaced with a myriad of cyclepaths..and sometimes (quite often actually) it's difficult to know whether you're on a cyclepath..or a footpath.

The Police here are quite often seen in such areas. (NOT on the footpaths in the city centre...just these urban areas). No-one seems to mind....no-ones ever said anything to me either.
Cycling on a footpath in the city centre seems a definate no no...but once outside, it seems a different matter.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Vikeonabike said:
Sh4rkyBloke, you may well be right. I admit i will use the pavement next to a perfectly suitable road for a number of different reasons. It may be that I am slowly pedalling through an area looking for someone or something. I may just be being nosey and checking out the gardens in a local neighbourhood for something that looks out of place.
Sorry - let me qualify further... the ones I've seen are generally riding at a reasonable pace, without lights and chatting to each other. They are paying scant attention to gardens, and even less to the path they are cycling on.

I've substantially less problem with a Police Officer doing what you describe - in fact it should be applauded... (but wouldn't walking the bike be just as effective for this?) as long as they are also paying attention to the users of the pavement too!!

Top Bottom