Police didn't act on incident they used as example of unsafe overtake because 'no offence was committed'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I send a good few reports in to North Yorkshire Police but unfortunately they do not give you ANY feedback whatsoever so I have no idea if they take action on them or just delete them as they come in.

I think it is the latter...

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I really hope this will change. Various forces are trying to establish national best practice for updating reporters. In my area, Avon and Somerset, we're told that there's a positive outcome, a warning, fixed penalty or prosecution, but not which.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
To be fair, (generally) Cheshire Police, are, in my experience, good. They tell me if the footage is to be used.
There have been a couple of close passes I have submitted where I have thought they might not do anything, but they did. Also the officer who reviews the footage of motoring incidents, (PC Rich Hall), does give feedback.
My biggest grievance against them was being hit when being overtaken. They didn't act in time and following a complaint I had a conversation and letter of apology from an Inspector.
Edit: In contrast Greater Manchester Police seem to have the footage reviewed by a civilian. If the footage gets through that stage, I have been told it is being passed to a PC to decide what action will be taken against the driver. Then silence.

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
To be fair, (generally) Cheshire Police, are, in my experience, good. They tell me if the footage is to be used.
There have been a couple of close passes I have submitted where I have thought they might not do anything, but they did. Also the officer who reviews the footage of motoring incidents, (PC Rich Hall), does give feedback.
My biggest grievance against them was being hit when being overtaken. They didn't act in time and following a complaint I had a conversation and letter of apology from an Inspector.
Edit: In contrast Greater Manchester Police seem to have the footage reviewed by a civilian. If the footage gets through that stage, I have been told it is being passed to a PC to decide what action will be taken against the driver. Then silence.
didn't realise the american comedian Rich Hall was a PC!?

Ive maintained all along that routine police use of social media does more harm than good. Every couple of days another examplemcomes along that peoves the point.
So the fact that there are challenged to explain why this is not an ''offence'' is proof that it does more harm than good?
I'm off the opinion that transparency is better, because police officer are human's and they can have different views but if they explain them it would be easyer to understand why, while they use this as an example of an bad overtake they don't explain why that is a pity because they could provide the neccesary context, i believe the road code is quite simple leave at least 1.5 meter in between, clearly it's not 1.5 meter in de clip not even 0.5

classic33

Leg End Member
So the fact that there are challenged to explain why this is not an ''offence'' is proof that it does more harm than good?
I'm off the opinion that transparency is better, because police officer are human's and they can have different views but if they explain them it would be easyer to understand why, while they use this as an example of an bad overtake they don't explain why that is a pity because they could provide the neccesary context, i believe the road code is quite simple leave at least 1.5 meter in between, clearly it's not 1.5 meter in de clip not even 0.5
No minimum distance given here, just
"You should give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car."

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q967.htm

Drago

Legendary Member
No minimum distance given here, just
"You should give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car."

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q967.htm
I know the guy that founded website. IMHO hes a nodder, and is not a solicitor so is also not qualified to give legal advice.

Legal advice is only ever worth as much as you pay for it.

classic33

Leg End Member
I know the guy that founded website. IMHO hes a nodder, and is not a solicitor so is also not qualified to give legal advice.

Legal advice is only ever worth as much as you pay for it.
He spelt metres wrong for a start.

Similar wording used elsewhere, that was the second result.

Top Bottom