Police get 93-page guide to cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
jeltz said:
...Another on not dismounting until stationary, well I've seen people coast to a halt while swinging their leg over, but probably not the best thing to do and more likely to send a copper sprawling than coming to a complete stop 1st...

It used to be the acknowledged way of getting on and off a bike - scoot and swing leg over to start. Reverse procedure to dismount. Not so easy with toe-clips and positively dangerous with clipless pedals.

Origamist

Legendary Member

Seriously though, they should be given a copy of Cyclecraft. Ok it doesn't tell them how to nick a robber, but surely they would get training in that anyway!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
magnatom said:
Seriously though, they should be given a copy of Cyclecraft. Ok it doesn't tell them how to nick a robber, but surely they would get training in that anyway!
Unless the opening scenes of "Hot Fuzz" have lied to us.

Tony

Bromptonaut said:
My thought hearing this on the radio this morning was much the same.
+1. The real story is in the last line of the BBC link above--a booklet puttogether by a group of coppers, NOT an officially sanctioned effort fromTop Plod.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
As many of you know this is a subject close to my heart and something I have been trying to get going with my constabulary for a couple of years. This Document was aimed at each individual constabulary to aid them in training their officers on bikes. The information involved is more than just how to ride safely on the road.
However the press have got thier teeth into it and the spinless numpties at ACPO have suddenly backed down.
I spent 3 weeks in a great deal of pain after a bike accident whilst chasing somebody. I lay the blame totally at the feet of the constabulary as I had no training (fast dismount) and ended up wih broken ribs.
Myself and a colleague were just beginning o make some ground towards training and properly equipping cyclists on my force. So this has really pi$$ed me off, the timing couldn't be worse.:sad:

Vikeonabike

User76 said:
So, if you couldn't do it, why pick then to try? Numpty ;)

possibly because saying to a member of the public "I know they've just punched you in the face but I'm not trained to chase them on my bike so I'll just have to let them go" wasn't really an option. But I may consider it in the future.
Numpty is what I felt like though, espeacially when I could hear the CCTV operator trying to do a welfare check on me whilst laughing, lots!:wacko:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
The Police do get quite a bit of cycle training as the cycle training company I work for often do training for them (Bikeability Level 3).

Vikeonabike

Auntie Helen said:
The Police do get quite a bit of cycle training as the cycle training company I work for often do training for them (Bikeability Level 3).

Auntie H
depends on the constabulary.
I think we may have sent a number of PCSO's to be trained up as instructors. However nothing ever materialised when they came back due mostly to lack of support from the "Driving School" who were in charge of it.

WeeE

Bike police are both more cost-effective and more effective at policing, in many built-up areas. It's a great advance.

You'd think an "alliance" of "taxpayers" would be all in favour of cycle police being well trained, then, wouldn't you?

I can't imagine what it must be like to try to pull over a white-van or a truck for dangerous driving, if you're on a bike yourself; and you surely need to be very familiar with all the footways and cut-throughs possible to a pedestrian, so that you can give chase if need be; and you need to know how to get through snarled-up traffic quickly and safely at speed, to get to the scene of a road-traffic incident. Just a few good reasons for a manual.

The whole complaint is a carefully-orchestrated propaganda drive by some of the 13 paid employees of the private company calling itself Taxpayers Alliance - "partners" of the Drivers Alliance which is the same outfit under a more accurate hat.

The TPA, for anyone who still doesn't know, is NOT an alliance and is not a group of taxpayers. It's a limited company of professional far-right lobbyists, whose chief exec doesn't even pay UK tax, and which is wholly funded by the road-construction, haulage and car-manufacturing industries.

The more modal share claimed by cycling and walking, the more business these stand to lose - in road construction, if the government does what it says it intends, that should mean billions less in contracts and in public subsidy. They are fighting tooth and nail to firmly fix "acrive travel" as looney, trivial & antisocial in the minds of the public.

Vikeonabike

Have e-mailed the journalist at The Sun and suggested that he attend a police cycling course.....Obviously the answer will be NO.....doubt he could actually get on a bike anyway!

Cubist

Still wavin'
We insist all staff who ride bikes are trained to Bikeability Level 2. The council are happy to do it for free as a partnership initiative. They offer Level 3 free to anyone who feel confident enough to try it.

Jiggerypokery

Rather than ridicule a PCSO for asking if the bike is yours, next time thank him for checking. After all, if your bike was stolen you'd want them to look for it wouldn't you. Are you telling me that no stolen bikes end up in the hands of lycra wearers? . Think your logic through and then ask yourself whether your smug bullshit actually makes you look any better.
It's easy to carp and criticise from the sidelines. If you can do any better sign up as a Special and show us how it's done......

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cubist said:
We insist all staff who ride bikes are trained to Bikeability Level 2. The council are happy to do it for free as a partnership initiative. They offer Level 3 free to anyone who feel confident enough to try it.

Why not insist on Level 3 for all staff riding bikes - unless your patch is all quiet roads?

Cubist

Still wavin'
summerdays said:
Why not insist on Level 3 for all staff riding bikes - unless your patch is all quiet roads?
You've got to draw the line somewhere. All staff are encouraged to go to Level 3, but the Risk Assessment is satisfied by L2.

Top Bottom