Police get 93-page guide to cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Maybe it'll tell them that riding a fixie with no rear brakes is not illegal...

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Ian H said:
Most policepersons I see on bikes do look remarkably ill-at-ease.
that used to be the case in the Great Wen, but, these days, they look the business - despite the extraordinary weight of their Smith and Wessons.

jiggerypokery

Über Member
When Blunkets Bobbies first popped up on the streets I was acosted walking my bike home after the p***ture fairy from hell had visited me and used up my spare tube and last patch. Is this your bike, said the PCSO, yes said I, can you prove ownership sir said he?

Now, as it happens I couldn't, I had nothing with me that linked me to the bike directly other than the fact that I WAS DRESSED HEAD TO TOE IN BLOODY JELLY BELLY LYCRA AND WEARING CLIPLESS SHOES!!!!!

So I just raised an eyebrow and asked him if that was a sensible question given my state of attire. He blushed a little, said that he had to check as there had been a spate of bike thefts in the area and wished me a good day.

Smart aren't they these PCSO's!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Ian H said:
Most policepersons I see on bikes do look remarkably ill-at-ease.
Certainly also the case around my area of operations, although the London cycloplod look very handy indeed from what I've seen.

About a month ago I found myself at the back of a peloton of 4 cycle-mounted police officers (not PSCOs). I wasn't hugely sure of the overtaking etiquette as they weren't going with purpose and I was getting a little tight for my train. Luckily they soon pulled off by nipping through the grounds of Basingstoke Registry Office. Did they fail to see the round, red-bordered sign with a bike on it or was the shortcut back to plod central too tempting to resist? Mmmmmm.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Given that it's quite possible these days for people to have not laid eyes on a bike since their earliest formative years, what's the harm?

I do wish the press would make up their minds; first cyclists are a lawless menace, next they're ridiculing attempts to raise standards of riding among a group riding as part of their duties.

Cab

John the Monkey said:
Given that it's quite possible these days for people to have not laid eyes on a bike since their earliest formative years, what's the harm?

Pointless repetition really. Just issue them with a copy of cyclecraft.

jeltz

Veteran
Cab said:
Pointless repetition really. Just issue them with a copy of cyclecraft.

To an extent I think it also has information to do with policing. I don't see the problem, myself.

I was listening to this on the Today program this morning and I suspect that much of the advice which is being ridiculed has its place.
E.g. Not dealing with subjects while you are still engaged with the bike. I mean if you stop astraddle a bike and chat to some idiot, you cant step back if pushed or if they grab the front wheel then the crossbar may smack you in the knackers.

Another on not dismounting until stationary, well I've seen people coast to a halt while swinging their leg over, but probably not the best thing to do and more likely to send a copper sprawling than coming to a complete stop 1st.

That it warrants a news story is probably the biggest disgrace.

Norm

jeltz said:
Another on not dismounting until stationary, well I've seen people coast to a halt while swinging their leg over, but probably not the best thing to do and more likely to send a copper sprawling than coming to a complete stop 1st.
Whoa! At risk of entering helmet-debate territory, I nearly always do that on tarmac and have never (yet!) gone sprawling anywhere.

(Damn... I've said it now... :smile: )

jeltz

Veteran
Norm said:
Whoa! At risk of entering helmet-debate territory, I nearly always do that on tarmac and have never (yet!) gone sprawling anywhere.

(Damn... I've said it now... :smile: )

But in that situation you are not (I'm assuming) pursuing a feral yoof at the time, I'd guess that in those circumstances the chances of coming a cropper would be raised due to the enthusiasm to catch the bugger. Where as reaching a complete halt 1st would probably be the better idea, and loose little time.

Norm

Indeed, but you said "probably not the best thing to do".

Or did you just mean "probably not the best thing to do when pursuing a feral yoof"?

Top Bottom