Police helicopter crash in Glasgow :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Speculation yes, however the same witness also said that the body of the helicopter was rotating, the blades were still. One of the first to report it as hitting the building.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
They talking about the main or the auxiliary rotor as no moving?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I blame the criminals the helicopter was trying to catch.

If it wasn't for them, the chopper would not have been in the air in the first place.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
[QUOTE 2797247, member: 9609"]Not a good week at all, this being the second major tragedy involving many fatalities in Scotland in just a few days. Lets hope there is a public enquiry into both.[/quote]

Sorry what was the first?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
[QUOTE 2797305, member: 9609"]three teenagers died in a horrific accident a few nights ago (it was a car / road thing so barely made the news)[/quote]

Oh that! Thanks.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I used to drink in that pub in the late seventies when I was in the merchant navy. Glasgow nautical college is just over the bridge from the Clutha Vaults. Nice friendly, old fashioned, "proper" pub.

I was in Strathclyde Police for 19 years, but was pensioned off on health grounds 12 years ago. I still have contacts within the Police. Rumour has it that one of the Police crew in the chopper is the wife of a guy who works in my old office. An old friend of mine served in the air support unit for a few years and loved every minute of it. It was always regarded as a prime posting.

This is the 3rd crash involving helicopters on charter to Strathclyde Police (or Police Scotland as it has become). First one was also in Glasgow and involved a collision with a high rise block at eastwood toll in fog. Second came down in a rural field in Ayrshire.

Thoughts are with the victims and their relatives and friends.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Sadly, it turns out that I used to work on the same shift at Greenock Police Office as one of the deceased helicopter crew. I didn't recognise her married name from initial reports, which referred to her as Kirsten Nelis. I knew her by her maiden name, Kirsty Scrimgeour. She was a quiet, friendly, down to earth young woman, and very competent for one so young in service at the time I worked with her. That impression has been confirmed by the fact that she went on to work in the air support unit. As stated previously, it was a sought after job and only the best were picked to do it.

Kirsty, it was a pleasure to have known you and worked with you.

Edit: I hope this POS is feeling proud of himself today.

Last edited:

02GF74

Über Member
Eyewitness report said that the rotor blades were not moving & there was no engine noise. Autorotation was mentioned by an aviation expert. But he never mentioned "Mead Man's Curve" pesumably because no-one knows how close they were on that "curve".

what I caught on the news is that there was some mechanical failure and the crew turned off tge engine to avoid damage as they kne they were coming down onto a pub.

classic33

Leg End Member
what I caught on the news is that there was some mechanical failure and the crew turned off tge engine to avoid damage as they kne they were coming down onto a pub.
The rotor blades would continue to spin/rotate without power. Thats autorotation, relying on the small amount of lift given by the unpowered rotor blades.
Same eyewitness said the helicpoter was spinning, but not the rotor blades.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
This accident has touched me personally. I found out last night that one of the police officers killed was a friend of mine from years back. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and kids as well as the rest of his of family and friends.
I am so sorry :sad:
Everyone in Scotland (and beyond) is feeling this.....I can only imagine what those friends and loved ones are going through right now

Top Bottom