Police helicopter crash in Glasgow :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rapples

Guru
A friend of mine has a helicopter, one thing he always maintains is you rarely come out of a crash injured. I suspect that's the reason for the silence, but obviously hope not for the families concerned.

BBC news - "Police have not confirmed any deaths"

Sky news - "6 dead in helicopter crash"

Fingers crossed the BBC are on the money.

Sad times and thoughts out to all concerned :sad:

[edit] BBC now concur with Sky, R.I.P:sad:

Last edited:

Lullabelle

Banana
One guy on the news said that he saw people running towards the building and thought it odd, really? In times like that many are selfless and want to help others, they should be commended not thought of as odd.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A lot of cycling meetings start from that area, the spot is on a NCN route, also very near a shopping centre and a bus station.
Had the crash occurred earlier in the day the outcome would have been worse.
So sad when something like this happens near home, I keep thinking I could have been cycling past.
Poor folks just out for a drink in their local, life changed for ever in an instant.

classic33

Leg End Member
One of the crew confirmed as dead. Scottish Police won't say who.
Pilot training has been called into question, given that many pilots are ex forces I can't see how pilot training can be blamed.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
One of the crew confirmed as dead. Scottish Police won't say who.
Pilot training has been called into question, given that many pilots are ex forces I can't see how pilot training can be blamed.
May be type rated training brought into question. Normally to fly different aircraft professionally you are required to be type rated on them. So you get your license to fly but type rating is like what aircraft you can fly. So its possible that has been brought into question. That being said pilot training is always brought into question in every crash as most crashes are pilot error.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Eyewitness report said that the rotor blades were not moving & there was no engine noise. Autorotation was mentioned by an aviation expert. But he never mentioned "Mead Man's Curve" pesumably because no-one knows how close they were on that "curve".

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Considering it would be really dark I wouldn't trust that eyewitness source. It can look like the rotors are not moving in daylight never mind at night.

Top Bottom