Police, primary and politness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I've just spent far too long reading this thread, and it's fascinating.

Congrats to CycleCopper for starting it off and being so honest - and calm in the face of some robust criticisim. You're clearly the kind of copper we need more of - open minded and willing to change your approach in the light of what you've learned.

You're not alone either - Mrs Uncle Phil and I were stopped last winter for using primary along a particularly dodgy stretch of road. The chap who stopped us was trying to advise us that it was safer to stick to the gutter, but did ask why we asds in the middle of the lane, holding up traffic?

I pointed out that we WERE traffic, and explained (briefly) why we were taking up the whole lane. He made to interrupt once, but heard me out. He didn't argue, or reply, but left us with a curt "well, go careful". I'd like to think he learned something that evening.

apollo179

I got stopped in richmond park today by a met police for cycling on the grass. Previously i might have been miffed by this and come out with the usual "havnt the police got better things to be doing with their time" nonsense but now i am kind of warmed by the fact that the police are actively protecting the park and that all the rules are regarded as worthy of enforcement.
I explained that i was unaware of the rule and that i was just going onto the grass for a bite to eat to which the policeman correctly replied that i would have to walk the bike which i did.
The most cyclists ive ever seen in the park today.

Recycler

I've only just returned to cycling after a gap of 4 decades so all this is very new to me....I hadn't even heard of "primary" and "secondary" positions until a week ago when, on this site, I was also advised to get hold of John Frankilns "Cyclecraft" book. I have been reading it and it makes sense but it is very difficult to put into practice. All my instincts are to hug the gutter, even though I can understand that it is better to move out.

Time will tell.

I just hope that the 4x4 driver who went passed me today, with a caravan in tow, leaving about 100mm for me learns to give room to people.

Top Bottom